My first thoughts on my 1st DSLR, D7200

Flapjack23

So after saving money since last spring, hopelessly researching, hoping, and waiting, I ended up pre-ordering a D7200 in early March from B&H. Largely I took the advice my dad offered me and went with the 7xxx series due to the more pro-sumer features, the ability to use legacy lenses, and control platform. I was originally going to purchase a D7100 but the rumors starting surfacing about the D7200... Being the tech junkie I am I waited and when announced I pulled the trigger.

My camera was shipped Thursday and was delivered Friday at 6:00. I had taken the first half of the day off to await delivery and had to leave at 6:30 so I didnt have much time to do anything except set up the shooting options. At work and between calls (I am a firefighter) I managed to charge the battery and look through the manual a bit. I did look over thexcamera a bit and started looking through the features and menus. Not having owned or used a SLR camera (or a DSLR ever) in 10+ years I was I was quickly overwhelmed with what this camera is capable of and how much I have to learn.

My first impressions: camera seems "solid". It has substantial heft in the hand and appears well made. The controls seem well laid out and user friendly. The AF system is complicated but seems very versatile. It seems to function crisply. I have a lot of learning to do. I would imagine someone familiar with a D7100 would feel at home with this camera in their hand.

Reading posts on this forum has given me more information than I can use but with camera in hand I think I will start figuring it all out.

A chance not taken is a wasted opportunity

egosbar

ive got the 7100 and im very comfortable with it , read the books like d7200 for dummies if its out yet , the same book in d7100 ive read about three times now just to pick up the little things you miss , what lenses did you get with it , that is where its at to make it shine , im saving for the 105mm macro now as it will double for a great portrait lens
definitely buy either the 35mm 1.8 or 5omm 1.8 , they are very cheap for what they are

Flapjack23

I bought the kit with the 18-140mm lens.

I WILL buy a book on mastering the 7200 as soon as it is available. I have "understanding exposure" already and have "the nikon creative lighting system" in my amazon cart already.

@nickt I will read the link you refrence. Thank you.

Really looking forward for some shutter time.

Flapjack23

Pics should be coming soon. I finally got some time to sit down and really play with the settings and start to become familiar with where the controls placed/their operation. As you start to understand how the systems operate it gets a lot less complicated or overwhelming. I took a bunch of random pictures just to see how the settings affected the pics. Tried out the buffer on CH and while I have nothing to compare it to it did take a lot of pictures before it slowed. Maybe I will have time this weekend to photograph something (rather than take pictures like I am currently doing) and get some posted up.

Nero

I did the same thing today, just took some random pics at a nearby park. Mostly to get the feel of the camera.