Black and White

Jacqueline

I took the following picture expecting that it would look more interesting in black and white. I'm new to digital photography in general, wasn't especially experienced with film photography before that and I haven't worked in black and white in about twenty years. Although I'd appreciate any comments, I'd particularly be interested in those related to working with black and white.

DSC_0007.jpg

Here's the link to the black and white version:
Flowers - Nikonites Gallery

Jacqueline

Sorry, I forgot the EXIF data:

Camera Info
Device: Nikon D90
Lens: VR 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 105mm
Focus Mode: AF-A
AF-Area Mode: Auto
VR: ON
AF Fine Tune:
Exposure
Aperture: F/9
Shutter Speed: 1/1250s

Is this the right information?

fotojack

Tell you the truth, I like this shot better in it's original colour mode. In my opinion,black and white doesn't lend itself well to flower shots, because you're missing the whole point of taking the shot of the flower in the first place. With flowers and plants, I want to see the colour. To me, black and white shots should be about people, things, certain places, situations, close ups of faces, etc etc. Do a Google on Louise Fryer, photographer, and you'll see what I mean. This woman's B&W shots are spectacular.

Last edited:

jengajoh

I agree with Jack. I like the color one best. It's hard to get a good photo of a flower in BW, especially if you show us the color one. Flowers are colorful, people want to see that.

I just noticed you're in Maryland. Me too, where about?

Browncoat

In my opinion,black and white doesn't lend itself well to flower shots, because you're missing the whole point of taking the shot of the flower in the first place.

I couldn't disagree more. People generally like flowers because they're "pretty". While "pretty" is subjective, much the same as someone's interpretation of art, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't like flowers because they believed them to be ugly.

Pretty is a synonym for beautiful, and describes something that is pleasing to the eye. One considers shape, lines, form, function, color, and composition...all elements of any good photograph. Even in removing color, the other elements still remain, but become even more important. We tend to favor B&W in some photos because they are more raw. The removal of color allows us to see past external beauty and look deeper.

Is this the right information?

Yes, well done!

Although I'd appreciate any comments, I'd particularly be interested in those related to working with black and white.

Expanding on the above...It can be difficult to work with B&W. Noted photographer Paul Outerbridge once said: "in black and white you suggest; in color you state. Much can be implied by suggestion, but statement demands certainty… absolute certainty.”

With B&W, you have to focus more on the composition itself. Color has a lot of visual impact, and you must train yourself to seek out what exactly is interesting about your subject and focus on it. You have to make it obvious to the viewer. In the case of flowers, you are removing their most powerful attribute: their striking color. You must find what else dials up the drama.

fotojack

"In the case of flowers, you are removing their most powerful attribute: their striking color."

That was my point when I posted, Anthony. It's the colours of the flowers that people want to see. But yes,i agree with you about looking deeper to see the form, line, shape, depth, etc. Can't argue with you on that point. :)
I should have stated that it's my personal view that flowers make poor B&W subjects. Not everyone, of course, feels that way.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Jacqueline, the color shot is very lovely and I like the composition. I also really like the detail you were able to bring out in the center of the flower when you converted to BW. You may want to consider cropping the photo down to just one flower in BW --that would make it more of the "center of attention" . BW anything can be quite spectacular. Keep up the good work!

goz63

I like to do B&W in photos that enhance the story. I took this at a horse driving clinic a few weeks ago.

buggy ride.jpg

vs. the color version which is OK but does not say the same thing...

buggy ride.jpg

Jacqueline

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

The impetus for taking the black and white photos of flowers was the weekly challenge. My background is as a painter. As a painter I've been complimented for my sense of color, but I've also been criticized for using it as a crutch. So I was taking advantage of the challenge to try to explore other elements.

With B&W, you have to focus more on the composition itself. Color has a lot of visual impact, and you must train yourself to seek out what exactly is interesting about your subject and focus on it.

I entirely agree with this. There's no doubt that a photograph of a flower can be about the color, but a flower also has other qualities like form and texture.

You may want to consider cropping the photo down to just one flower in BW --that would make it more of the "center of attention" .

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.

Do a Google on Louise Fryer, photographer, and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that.

jengajoh, I moved to Baltimore in January. I recognized your photo of Ellicott City. My sister took me to a restaurant there for my birthday.

Browncoat

My background is as a painter. As a painter I've been complimented for my sense of color, but I've also been criticized for using it as a crutch.

Excellent! Translate your keen sense of color to contrast, and you're there. Don't think of them as colors anymore. When composing a photo that you want to convert to B&W, look for what you already know. Just tweak it a little. As a painter, you're no doubt familiar with the color wheel and which colors compliment and contrast one another.

For example, green and yellow are next to each other on the color wheel. They are not complimentary colors, and when side by side in a B&W photo, would not contrast well. Purple and yellow are complimentary colors, and that contrast is there. Triadic color schemes also photograph well in B&W.

Jacqueline

For example, green and yellow are next to each other on the color wheel. They are not complimentary colors, and when side by side in a B&W photo, would not contrast well. Purple and yellow are complimentary colors, and that contrast is there. Triadic color schemes also photograph well in B&W.
When you phrase it that way it makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.

Jacqueline

The luminescence is what I like about it, too. Now that I look at it again, I find the in the back more distracting in the black and white photo than it is in the color photo.