D750's AF function completely disappeared

biyibot

I have got a new D750 few months ago, I was happy as, but I realised few days ago, when I switch to "AF" then the camera is not doing any autofocusing at all, when I click on "Info" button then click on the middle button on the front (the button is in the middle of AF/M switch) doesn't give me any Auto Focus related info. There is no AF functionality at all on the camera right now. My firmware is up to date C 1.01 L 2.005, the camera functions well. Do you have a similar experience with D750? I tried to reset in every screen to back to the factory settings instead, do you have any suggestions that I did something wrong or the camera has a defect?
Please help!

biyibot

I have tried all possible combinations, AF function's completely disappeared, few possibilities, Firmware was the cause, D750 has a defect (either one off or on all), something mechanically not right, or I did something in the settings that caused the issue.

J-see

What do you mean with disappeared?

If you press the focus button, do you see anything happen? Did you check if you changed the focus to back-button or locked it in any other way? If all fails, do a factory reset.

J-see

I'm checking the cam and menus right now and will give all options that can affect focus:

The AF/M switch next to the lens mount.
The A/M switch on the lens.
In your settings changing the function of the AE-L/AF-L button on the back. You can change focus from the release to the back-button.

Check those three first.

J-see

You can do a two-button reset by holding down the ISO button at the back and the EV (+/-) button on the top just above the small LCD. Both have a green dot next to them. Hold them for a couple of seconds and you'll restore the cam to the default settings.

biyibot

I follow all your instructions, all done but there is no change. When you click on "info" button then press the middle button at the front (the button located in the middle of AF/M handle) do you see any Auto Focus related menus on the back panel? I don't see anything unfortunately, and also id your firmware is as C 1.01 L 2.005?

J-see

I follow all your instructions, all done but there is no change. When you click on "info" button then press the middle button at the front (the button located in the middle of AF/M handle) do you see any Auto Focus related menus on the back panel? I don't see anything unfortunately, and also id your firmware is as C 1.01 L 2.005?

I have the same firmware.

Your AF options are in menu 4; section A. That's all about AF.

J-see

I don't really get what you mean with the middle button.

If I press the AF/M button next to the lens, I see my focus on the top LCD. Using the scroll wheels allows me to switch either the AF-S, AF-A or AF-C while the other wheel sets the focal points.

Keep in mind that the behavior of the cam is very different when using live-view or viewfinder shooting.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't really get what you mean with the middle button.

If I press the AF/M button next to the lens, I see my focus on the top LCD. Using the scroll wheels allows me to switch either the AF-S, AF-A or AF-C while the other wheel sets the focal points.

Keep in mind that the behavior of the cam is very different when using live-view or viewfinder shooting.
But this will only happen if the camera focus is activated and the lens is set to auto-focus.
Have you tried the camera with different lenses biyibot? Maybe the contacts are somewhat affected and the camera doesn't see there is an auto-focus lens there...
When you say it won't focus when you press the focus button, which button are you referring to? If it's the button behind the cam, it could be a menu thing since it is not usually activated after a reset.
Good luck in your search and please let us know if you do find the culprit.

biyibot

IMG_1858.jpg

Here is the button, in the normal cases when you click on "info" button at the back then press the button in the picture, should give you AF options.

biyibot

But this will only happen if the camera focus is activated and the lens is set to auto-focus.
Have you tried the camera with different lenses biyibot? Maybe the contacts are somewhat affected and the camera doesn't see there is an auto-focus lens there...
When you say it won't focus when you press the focus button, which button are you referring to? If it's the button behind the cam, it could be a menu thing since it is not usually activated after a reset.
Good luck in your search and please let us know if you do find the culprit.

Yes I tried different lenses but no luck!

J-see

If he's using live-view, he might not see any focus information unless he clicks the info button until it adds that info to the LCD display. But even without that info, the cam should be able to focus.

If even after a reset the cam does not focus, it could also be the lens. If the lens doesn't work or focus, the cam can't do anything either. Then all focus options are gone too. If I set my cam or lens to manual, nothing displays.

J-see

View attachment 145968

Here is the button, in the normal cases when you click on "info" button at the back then press the button in the picture, should give you AF options.

If all is set to normal, or you reset, and with several lenses you get no focus display, the cam's AF is switched off. There could be several reasons for that from a faulty AF/M switch to something internal. But that's something the repair guys have to find out.