Extended Warranties?

undercoverbrother

Hi Everyone,

Just put a deposit on a Nikon D750, as we know it comes with a 1+1 warranty structure. the seller also offer extended warrenties of 2 years for $145-150.

Being my first real camera, is it recommended I add it or is this a final cash grab ?

All Opinions appreciated.

mikew_RIP

Check on that two years,in the UK it some times comes into play after the first year not second,this means you are only getting one extra year.

paul04

Check on that two years,in the UK it some times comes into play after the first year not second,this means you are only getting one extra year.

I got a letter from Nikon to cover my D7100 for 3 years, as I had warranty cover for 2 years (12 months warranty+1 year free) so I was paying all that extra money for 1 years cover in the third year.

I declined.

rocketman122

Hi Everyone,

Just put a deposit on a Nikon D750, as we know it comes with a 1+1 warranty structure. the seller also offer extended warrenties of 2 years for $145-150.

Being my first real camera, is it recommended I add it or is this a final cash grab ?

ask them if its a nikon australia warranty.

I know its going to sound like a plug but I live in europe and me and my friend purchase mack vip diamond warranty. the regular warranty from anyone doesnt cover impact damage and many times they try to get out of repair by saying its impact. for the amount they ask you can buy the 3rd party warranty for that amount and get full coverage. impact and spills.

working weddings, the gear gets used hard so it just makes sense to get an all risk type warranty which covers any damage to the camera. usually the shutter goes before the 3 year mark and that repair itself is more than what I payed for the warranty. so its a no brainer to get it.

you have to contact them to ask who does repair for mack in australia as they are in the US. basically u bring it to the authorized repair place. they send the estimate to mack, then wait for an ok and then it gets repaired. A d3/D3s and D4 shutters were repaired. we buy it for everything including the lenses and flashes.

carguy

Hi Everyone,

My view on purchasing extended warranties is never do it.

I base that on my the fact that millions of dollars has been spent in research. Extended warranties are a profit maker for the seller of the warranty. Odds are you will never need it, which is the only reason they sell them ;)

If It's CHEAP (usually for some cameras, lenses and other small items) and it will give you peace of mind, go for it, but most can be quite expensive depending on what you buy.

* This is not to say they don't ever pay off sometimes as they certainly do. Odds are that you will never need it.

I do have one exception now that my kids each have an ipod, I purchased the insurance for those little devils. They just break things :)

Last edited:

rocketman122

I base that on my the fact that millions of dollars has been spent in research. Extended warranties are a profit maker for the seller of the warranty. Odds are you will never need it, which is the only reason they sell them ;)

If It's CHEAP (usually for some cameras, lenses and other small items) and it will give you peace of mind, go for it, but most can be quite expensive depending on what you buy.

I do have one exception now that my kids each have an ipod, I purchased the insurance for those little devils. They just break things :)

My mindset is the opposite of yours. If its an expensive item then repair will be expensive. If the item is cheap whats the point to buy and extended warranty? Just buy a new one.

I dont buy regular extended warranty. They will always try to get out of it by saying its impact damage. I only buy an all risk warranty whoch covers it all. Same price.

I wouldnt buy a $2300 camera and not buy an all risk warranty. But i use it a lot and dont really baby it. For most people it isnt worth it

i think singlerosa damaged his camera about two years back and the repair was a big bill

carguy

To each their own. To some the 'peace of mind' is worth the money, me - I take advantage of their own extensive research and play the odds that are already in my favor :)

A good Insurance policy should cover damage, warranty is to cover things not caused by 'man' per say. If you pay for insurance and an 'all risk warranty', chances are you are paying twice for the same thing.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I buy extended warranties for certain things. It has paid off many times. For example, I just bought a bluetooth earpiece for my cell phone and for once decided to get the extended warranty at Best Buy for an additional $12.00. Normally I wouldn't but have had bad luck with bluetooth's before. About a year and a half later, it goes on the fritz, and I pulled out my receipt and warranty and took it to Best Buy and received a brand new bluetooth and they extended the warranty for another 2 years without any additional costs. The warranty paid for itself 4 times over what I paid originally for the BT.

mikew_RIP

Another i do on some things,cameras normally not i think if it has two years i will probably trade it before that,my car i just paid £400 to extend the full warranty from 3 years to 5 years as ime not going to change it in that time.

rocketman122

Its true that many dont need it but seeing as he asked about it, i just suggested that he buy an all risk kind. Its the same amount hes asking. If I wasnt a pro using my gear in demanding situations, im not sure i would buy it. Today though knowing how much it costs to repair anything minute, I would no doubt. My needs though working weddings are different than others. Just one small repair would cost more than the warranty and its covered for three years. So
youre right its not for everyone. But after seeing how much repairs cost and the chance I maight slip when least intended, i would buy it without a doubt.

I remember the first time my gear broke and it was my sb28 flash which was on a light stand. I was outside in a site with ancient building al around. I was shooting my ex wife with my n8008s camera connected to an sb28 with a ttl cord and it was connected with a huge extension cord i bought from a guy through the magazine article in popphoto. It didnt cost much to repair
the next time after that was my sigma 70-200 2.8 hsm with f5 connected. I put the duo on the edge of a park bench and the strap slipped between two of the bench pieces of wood. I lifted it and it released but hung on at the end and it slamed to the floor. Mounts on both broke and it cost me a lot of money. And it was before i was shooting for money. I was just shooting my brother in laws little daughter for practice.

In this situation, and extrnded warranty wouldnt do me good at all and in fact i would be pissed i payed money and still had to pay out of pocket. Thats why i say IF ur buying, buy an all tisk impact and spills kind. It costs atound $160-180 for 3 years of peace of mind.

Last edited:

rocketman122

To each their own. To some the 'peace of mind' is worth the money, me - I take advantage of their own extensive research and play the odds that are already in my favor :)

A good Insurance policy should cover damage, warranty is to cover things not caused by 'man' per say. If you pay for insurance and an 'all risk warranty', chances are you are paying twice for the same thing.

I use a different seller but it doesnt matter. He just sells the "policy" number. then u register with mack within 30 days.

1814 Mack 3yrs Extended International Diamond Warranty US$2500 | eBay

same price as op is quoting.

bit again, im just recommending becauwe op asked. So if hes going to get it then why not get an allrisk kind fot the same money.

Last edited: