Featured photos

Curt

Wonder if anyone likes the idea of a "Photo of the Day".
Each day a photo is selected from the posts that day and posted on the home page as the photo of the day, just an idea??
Anyone think its a good idea?

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Re: Suggestion?

I would like to start putting up the winners of the photo challenges on the homepage. How about photo of the week? :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Photo of the week from the pictures posted on the gallery for that week sounds really good to me.

And then photo of the month.

And then of the year... Why not.

Mike150

Photo of the week from the pictures posted on the gallery for that week sounds really good to me.

And then photo of the month.

And then of the year... Why not.

How about Photo of the Millenium?, although I think any of the above is a good Idea.

Curt

Glad to see members think my idea is worth considering, I was not sure anyone would be interested when I suggested it.

JoeLewisPhotography

Wait... the mod gods have time for this, but no time to change my 365 thread title i requested?

lol i kid. I think its a great Idea...but not daily. weekly would be more appropriate.

Browncoat

Didn't see your title change request, Joe. I'll get on it.

As for this suggestion...isn't there a way to utilize the gallery star ranking system to show popular photos?

ohkphoto

Snow White
It would also be nice to post those on twitter and FB, linking back to the forum. Who does the twittering for Nikonites? Jdeg?

ohkphoto

Snow White
The only "problem" with using the gallery is that some of those are no longer on the forum or don't participate regularly if at all. I can't see promoting someone who doesn't bother hanging around here. And it is a promotion. We had something like this in the weekly challenge --never got a response from the winner. IMHO

PavementPilot

Is the gallery like the Flickr Stream? You can upload a photo to your gallery and also link to another gallery, say the Daily or Weekly gallery set up for this purpose?

Curt

I guess what I was thinking was along the lines of people that are always posting fantastic photographs should get just a bit of recognition for their work. It would also encourage members to post and strive to post great pictures for all of us to enjoy.
Nice to have other members say, hey thats a great shot ::).

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
The only "problem" with using the gallery is that some of those are no longer on the forum or don't participate regularly if at all. I can't see promoting someone who doesn't bother hanging around here. And it is a promotion. We had something like this in the weekly challenge --never got a response from the winner. IMHO

Hi Helene. Well if you did use the gallery uploads for the photo of the week, then presumably the user is at least active during that particular week! :) I'm assuming that the POTW selections would be done on a timely basis so for example the POTW winner for the week ending June 26 would be announced on June 27. Yes there is a chance that someone will just post a picture during a given week and never come back again but that's probably not a huge concern. Most likely POTW winners will still be active a few days after posting a picture in the gallery.

vbulletin does have an awards system (not sure if you folks have activated it here) so you could create POTW and POTM awards and once given to a user, a special icon would appear in their user profile. Also, a quick PM should be sent to the winner to alert them to their award which would go a long way in avoiding the other situation Helene described - a winner not returning to at least acknowledge their award.

You also have to consider who will be assigned the task of selecting the winner who will then in turn make the announcement, describe why the image was chosen, PM the winner, etc.

Anyway, just my .02. Curt, your idea is a very good one! :)

Jacqueline

I think the idea of featuring a picture of the day or week is a good one. Posting it on the home page would make it more visually appealing. Personally, I prefer the idea of day to week because I've gotten to know some of the people who are on this site by clicking on the random photos in the side bar.

Obviously, people who are posting to the gallery are active. . . or are trying to be.