Bright light - slow shutter speed

nightWolf

Hi All,

Roaming around London over the weekend with great sun and weather - I wanted to grab a few shots of moving boats using some motion blur.

So i dropped my shutter speed to about 1/30 and dropped the aperture down to the minimum. But since there was such bright sunlight, the pics were massively over-exposed, to the point where it was almost white. The slow shutter speed was letting in too much light.

How can i handle a situation like this, any tips?

Thanks.

Vermontster

The top photo was shot without an ND filter. The sun was shining on the falls and with a slow shutter speed this was the result.

DSC_6319-1.JPG

With the ND filter, I was able to get the blur effect on the water I was looking for.

DSC_6320-2.JPG

goz63

What do you all think of the Tiffen filters? They seem to have about the same review ratings as the Hoya and B&W filters.

PhotoAV8R

What do you all think of the Tiffen filters? They seem to have about the same review ratings as the Hoya and B&W filters.
The last Tiffen I bought was a simple UV filter for lens protection and the glass was loose in the frame. Whenever it moved, I heard it say, "Cheap!"

YMMV...

fotojack

The last Tiffen I bought was a simple UV filter for lens protection and the glass was loose in the frame. Whenever it moved, I heard it say, "Cheap!"

YMMV...

Tiffen is used in the motion film industry, so it's not a cheap filter. By the way, that loose fit can be fixed. Just tighten up the ring that keeps it in the frame. It's screw in, so an easy fix. :) See where the compass points are inserted into the slots in the ring in this picture? Just tighten that ring clockwise, and you're done.

View attachment 3587

Last edited:

AMG

The photo's by Chris are beautiful however I'd like to know why blur the water? Is to a personal preference? When I see the droplets or the distinct curl of a wave I hear the water in motion. The photo takes me that pleasant moment. A blurred water flow seems to hush the sound I want to hear. The blurring of water flow is not unpleasant but it just doesn't speak to me. Maybe it's because I have a significant hearing loss and sound (even though it is not truly present) is extremely important to me. Thoughts and/or tips anyone?

Joseph Bautsch

AMG, blurring the water in a waterfall or in a fast moving river is a personal preference. I've seen shots of waterfalls that look like cotton, I have a few like that in my inventory. You can also control the effect so that there is just a little movement, just enough to show motion. The degree you want or like is up to the photographer. I would recommend the use of a CPL filter, it gives the water more depth. But the CPL filter is also a 1.3 stop ND filter. You can also control the the amount of the reflections off the water by turning it slightly away from the light source.

Vermontster

AMG,

As Joseph mentioned, the blur is a personal preference. The blur gives me a sense of soft motion, where a faster shutter speed freezes the water. The following photo is of the same waterfall at a different time with the motion frozen for the most part. So I will shoot waterfalls both ways and then choose.

Waterfall 2.jpg

Chris

Joseph Bautsch

Chris, great shot of that water fall. The composition is right on. I don't have a preference as to motion stop of the water or making it look like cotton. It all depends on how it fits with the rest of the composition. The motion stop in this case really makes this shot stand out. Really good job.

Vermontster

Chris, great shot of that water fall. The composition is right on. I don't have a preference as to motion stop of the water or making it look like cotton. It all depends on how it fits with the rest of the composition. The motion stop in this case really makes this shot stand out. Really good job.

As I consider you one of the top photographers on this site, this is quite a compliment coming from you. Thanks Joseph!