Settings

bikeit

I have tried the camera at different settings, landscape, vivid, normal etc, so i cant see any great difference in them when i look at the photos, so am i doing something wrong or do these settings make any difference?

They will give slightly different looks. When you upload it to your computer you should see slight variations.

You can fine tune all those setting in the camera and you really should adjust the sharpness in any that you use.

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.

nickt

Try Monochrome, that one is real easy to spot. If you are shooting raw and NOT using Nikon software, you won't see any difference with the different modes, even monochrome will show in color. It should definitely work for jpeg though.

480sparky

Back when I had my D7000, I made a chart of the differences.

SceneModes.jpg

Last edited:

Eyelight

Is the question about the Picture Control or Scene Modes?

Picture Control can have dramatic impact on the images.

Scene Modes change basic settings geared more to the type of scene and may or may not have much visible impact on an image.

I have tried the camera at different settings, landscape, vivid, normal etc, so i cant see any great difference in them when i look at the photos, so am i doing something wrong or do these settings make any difference?

Is the question about the Picture Control or Scene Modes?

Picture Control can have dramatic impact on the images.

Scene Modes change basic settings geared more to the type of scene and may or may not have much visible impact on an image.

Sounds like he may be trying both. landscape is scene I think and vivid and normal are both Picture Control.

hrvojexyz

Been using d5300 for almost 1 year, when I wanna get "wau" effect, I shoot in vivid mode..difference is seen on the camera monitor, let alone on computer monitor.
For portraits I use vivid or portait, when I wanna go really deep, I use my own settings saved as "sharply" , with added sharpnes , saturation and contrast..