modern luxury pinup

Wiredin

Kiss- by LK_335, on Flickr

This is my first "concept" modeling shoot. A creative collaboration between the model and I. I normally do lifestyle stuff, but have taken 2015 to start focusing more on conceptual, editorial, and soon glamour style photography and get further away from weddings and the general public. Sick and tired of the average bride wanting to look like Tyra Banks in her wedding pictures and blowing a gasket when she doesn't.

Nikon D8000
Nikon 24-70/f2.8
iso 100
1/80 second
f4
zoomed to 32mm

lighting:
2 Elinchrom Dlite 4 (1 with a 100cm Octabox deep-throat, the other a 6" reflector with diffuser disc)
2 SB910 speed lights on stands set for wide dispersion

Octa facing the model camera left, same distance from the model as the camera. Set about 1 foot above the camera (5 feet)
Reflector camera right facing the model (good distance away) on low power facing down about 7 feet in the air
one speed light camera left illuminating the side of the vehicle, aimed towards the ground to bounce the light up
one speed light directly behind the car for frim light, don't think it fired

The idea was to mix modern, retro, and luxury into one. So we picked out an outfit inspired by the "We Can Do It!" posters (which we played on that for a pose too, but I haven't edited' it yet), got her hair done and makeup done in a pinup look. We were lucky to be allowed to shoot in an Infiniti dealership and use a brand new Infiniti Q50 as our prop. We approached Audi, Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar, Landrover...but Infiniti was the only one to reply. We also got a call back from Dodge to use a Challenger Hellcat, but I didn't like the look of the shop, wasn't as clean and modern as I wanted. And the Hellcat isn't exactly "luxury" but still would have been awesome.

My model may be a bit larger than your stereotypical model, but when I asked her to do pinup with me it was because of her size. I wanted a "normal" woman with some curves for this shoot.

This was a fantastic team, first time I had makeup and hair on site doing touch ups and adjustments as I was moving lights around. It was awesome. Usually my makeup artist just goes and reads a book if she stays on set. So having that hands on team was just amazing.

edit: post processing

For post processing I did basic adjustments and color correction in Lightroom CC. I used an X-Rite color checker passport and created a camera profile based on that. I did basic sharpening, and some dodge and burn. Specifically darkened the background to black out the tool boxes in the shop and to brighten the grill and the ground around the model and vehicle.

I then moved into photoshop and applied a few different layer masks. I did a clarity and sharpness mask on the ground and grill and other details on the vehicle to really make the details stand out and make them punch a bit. I boosted the brightness of the model. I applied no skin softening or beauty touch ups aside from getting rid of a few piercings. Did some basic cleanup for sensor/lens dust. Performed a highpass sweep at 1 pixel to finish it off.

Back into Lightroom for a few more local adjustments using clarity/dodge and burn.

Exported into NIK (can't remember which plugin specifically) to add the frame and apply a custom film emulation layer without the grain to give it more of that "retro" look and feel.

In lightroom again to adjust overall exposure as NIK darkened it by about a half stop. (I still think I could/should have gone maybe a 1/3 stop brighter) and did a de-noise adjustment.

Finally, exported one more time into photoshop to lengthen the canvas to make it look like a Poloroid and put the credits on the bottom. Not my usual watermark font.

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

It creates a disturbing sense of dissonance to me, to see a Japanese car featured so prominently in what I consider to be a very American style of pinup art. I find myself wanting to be offended by it, though I have to admit that such offense is not quite rational.

Wiredin

It creates a disturbing sense of dissonance to me, to see a Japanese car featured so prominently in what I consider to be a very American style of pinup art. I find myself wanting to be offended by it, though I have to admit that such offense is not quite rational.

interesting perspective. to provoke such an emotion is both intriguing to me and fun. I like that. Something I never considered when doing this shoot either.

Bob Blaylock

interesting perspective. to provoke such an emotion is both intriguing to me and fun. I like that. Something I never considered when doing this shoot either.

It's funny, but just after I wrote that last post in this thread, I was then reading another thread about someone catching a lot of heat for having published photographs of a baby bundled in an American flag. I suppose the same emotional principles are at work, here. I perceive certain things as standing for this nation, it's culture, and its founding principles, and I hate to see them treated in a manner that is disrespectful.

Wiredin

It's funny, but just after I wrote that last post in this thread, I was then reading another thread about someone catching a lot of heat for having published photographs of a baby bundled in an American flag. I suppose the same emotional principles are at work, here. I perceive certain things as standing for this nation, it's culture, and its founding principles, and I hate to see them treated in a manner that is disrespectful.

I get that. I totally get it, and I love it. Pinup is an American culture thing, usually attached to vintage hot rods and the like. It's actually a style I really like and appreciate. Both in current hot rod culture and past hot rod culture. I was purposefully looking to break that mold with this to do something different. I want to do it again with my dads '57 Belair this summer once it's driveable again (needs a new gas tank, it's all rotted out). As a Canadian I guess I didn't think there could be a disrespectful connotation to that, and I respect and apologize if it is offensive. Art is always subjective and some of the best pieces bring out controversy. So in that, I find it a twisted compliment. :)

Lawrence

I'll take a pin-up from any culture! :)

i think it is a great shot and I was fascinated by the PP detail. I wish I was that knowledgable in PP and by knowledgable I include having the ability to visualise the final concept.
Thanks for posting in such detail.

Krs_2007

I agree with the above.

Doesn't work for me.
- model doesn't match the car period
- head space
- bottom left, whatever that is on the floor seems to be a bit distracting to me as well. looks like a metal grate or something industrial, so it doesn't really fit.

What works
- model is beautiful, clothing, hair all work
- really like the car, just not the combo
- lighting I like
- post processing

With that said I am no expert in this style, but I really love it because of the nostalgia. Much prefer this type of car model over the type you see all the time. Guess thats the father of a daughter in me.

Nice job

Wiredin

The parts I don't like are so much blank room at the top and the the fact that part of the car is cut off just really bothers me.

Ah yes, the blank space above the photo does detract. I agree now that it has been pointed out. I could have (and I'm now seeing should have) shot this horizontal as I would have gotten the full vehicle in frame and reduced/eliminated the negative space above the model(s)

I agree with the above.

Doesn't work for me.
- model doesn't match the car period
- head space
- bottom left, whatever that is on the floor seems to be a bit distracting to me as well. looks like a metal grate or something industrial, so it doesn't really fit.

What works
- model is beautiful, clothing, hair all work
- really like the car, just not the combo
- lighting I like
- post processing

With that said I am no expert in this style, but I really love it because of the nostalgia. Much prefer this type of car model over the type you see all the time. Guess thats the father of a daughter in me.

Nice job

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate it.

I guess my mix of modern/retro/luxury between the different cultures and eras, something I consciously did, isn't going over as well as I hoped. I do agree the negative space and the floor grate do detract. I could/should have worked on removing the great in post processing and shot it horizontal in hindsight.

Thank you for the post-processing and lighting compliments. This was a tricky thing to light as I've never lit a vehicle before, especially one that reflects so much light. I'm glad they didn't give me a black vehicle, as I'm sure that would have been a nightmare.

Rick M

I like everything but the composition for reasons already stated. Landscape would have solved some of the issues. Model projecting to the edge of the frame, think of a flying bird with no space in front of it, but more behind it.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have to agree with the others concerning the crop. I'd prefer it to be horizontal too. The thing that bothers me the most though is the model's position, specially her right leg that makes her tight look larger than it probably is. Maybe having both her feet on the ground could have prevented this, or it could probably be retouched. But it does bother me and I wonder if it does bother her as well... The lighting and post processing are top notch except the border choice that puts some white on top of the frame. I find this distracting.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you will take all our comments with a grain of salt. It's so easy to critic after the fact but I'm sure you did put in a lot of effort. Maybe you can look through the other shots and select a better one...

This is a much better photo with a little editing. Maybe like this?

16591594707_99862b662f_z.jpg