Wedding Photographer

My son got married this weekend and the bride picked the photographer. I had no say in it so I kept my mouth shut. I arrived and was glad to see that the photographers were at least shooting Nikon. The main photographer was shooing a D40 and the assistance was shooting a D3000. Not what I would expect from a professional photographer. Now for the really bad part. I noticed while she was shooting the outside wedding in the daylight she was pointing the flash straight up (remember we are outside in the daylight) I asked her later why and was told that the flash would bounce off of whatever was up there and make the pictures look good.

Glad I took my D3100 and shot a lot of very good pictures.

Carolina Photo Guy

Now for the really bad part. I noticed while she was shooting the outside wedding in the daylight she was pointing the flash straight up (remember we are outside in the daylight) I asked her later why and was told that the flash would bounce off of whatever was up there and make the pictures look good.

Was the wedding near an airport by any chance?

737's, 747's and 767's make GREAT reflectors!!!

Just a thought! :):):)

Pete

Had not thought of that. One nice thing that I did learn was just how good the little built in flash on the D3100 is. My late afternoon photos had just the right amount of fill and later on that evening after dark I started backing up just to see how far the flash would work. A lot further than I though it would.

Image Size: L (4608 x 3072)
Date Shot: 6/4/2011 20:05:41.90
Image Quality: Compressed RAW (12-bit)

Device: Nikon D3100
Lens: VR 55-200mm F/4-5.6G
Focal Length: 55mm
Focus Mode: AF-A
AF-Area Mode: Auto
VR: ON
AF Fine Tune:
Aperture: F/4.2
Shutter Speed: 1/60s
Scene Mode: Auto
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 3200)
Flash
Device: Built-in Flash
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Flash Mode: i-TTL-BL, 0EV
High ISO NR: ON (Normal)
Long Exposure NR: OFF

Nikon_06_04_2011_0211s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
If the photographs turn out okay then I wouldn't worry about what kind of camera is used, although is D40 is starting to get dated. Pointing a flash straight up outside while still on is a good indication that they didn't know what they were doing though. I hope your son didn't pay over $500-$600.

bluenoser

Banned
My son got married this weekend and the bride picked the photographer.

Well at least she can't blame him when she sees the final product! :) (oh wait...she still will do that but at least it won't be true!)

I had no say in it so I kept my mouth shut.

I haven't learned to do that yet (and I've still managed to stay married for over 11 years! LOL!)

I arrived and was glad to see that the photographers were at least shooting Nikon. The main photographer was shooing a D40 and the assistance was shooting a D3000. Not what I would expect from a professional photographer.

A D40 and a D3000? That's brutal. I own a D40 along with my D7000 and really enjoy using it but for a wedding? No way. I shudder to think which lens (they probably only had one) they used for the day.

Now for the really bad part. I noticed while she was shooting the outside wedding in the daylight she was pointing the flash straight up (remember we are outside in the daylight) I asked her later why and was told that the flash would bounce off of whatever was up there and make the pictures look good.

LMAO!! That is hilarious. (I can't believe you still managed to keep your mouth shut!)

Looks like your shots will be the ones your son and wife will cherish! :)

PS. Sounds like your daughter-in-law hired someone like this guy:

Just-Clayton

I was recently asked to shoot a wedding in august. a little scary. still have to add some items before that. i plan to get a second body,battery grip and some filters. i have been trying different shots with this new camera. people look at me and ask why i take so many pictures. i just say im still learning. as for the flash shooting at the sky. Duhhh!! From reading, asking and trial and error i have learned a lot about taking photos and i still delete quite a few because i know i can do better.

uriah07

I've been shooting for 8 months and am no where near ready to charge or take on big projects. I have people ask me to do stuff from time to time, but I'm just not ready to mess up a memory. Every now and then I take a decent photo. My girlfriend and I are below :)

001 LLM.jpg

ThePhotoLegend

From the little experience I have and what I have seen and witnessed within the world of photography its not the camera that matters but how you are able to use it. I have seen some gorgeous and amazing pictures produced from cameras such as those by photographers who know what they are doing. Utilizing a d40 and d3000 is not an indication of capabilities but rather economic means... the flash pointed to the sky on the other hand... that is a little scary! Hope it works out well for your son and his bride!