Nikon D800- My settings change every time I shoot?!

d800user

Help! Why does my camera change its own settings after I've already set to what I want. IE: I set the shutter speed, ISO and F/stop, take the shot I want.... Then when I go to take a second shot, I see the settings are different than what I had just set. This screws me up constantly, is there a way to lock in my settings?

Scott Murray

Help! Why does my camera change its own settings after I've already set to what I want. IE: I set the shutter speed, ISO and F/stop, take the shot I want.... Then when I go to take a second shot, I see the settings are different than what I had just set. This screws me up constantly, is there a way to lock in my settings?
Ummm are you shooting in manual?

Scott Murray

Yes, manual mode, which is why I don't understand why I have to reset it after every shot. :(
Unless you are moving the front or rear wheel on the right and side the settings should not be changing. Can you provide some photo evidence so we can see what settings are changing. It sounds like to me a: you are changing the settings not knowing b: you have it something other than M mode c: you have auto ISO on (just for the ISO changing).

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Or you have your bracketing set to ON.
It looks like it. This would be the first thing to check if I was you. If you take a few shots of the same subject without moving the camera, do you just get different exposures? If yes, then your auto-bracketing is set to on. See user manual to turn it off.