D750 pre flashes

paulusdu

Hi guys,

So i have a d750 which i love, and i also shoot with a D800 which i also love.

For some reason, and i have looked through the menus and settings over and over again, my D750 fires 3 preflashes before it will fire a flash.

I know this is the camera testing the light and what is needed, but if i have the flash set to manual, i should not get this (or so i would imagine).
I have looked for red eye reduction, but the D750 does not seem to have that option. I have also tried the flash in TTL, Manual and Auto. Shooting is done in Manual mode on the camera

The flashes are an SB910 and SB700.

My D800 does not do this, nor my D700. Any ideas on how to stop this preflash, as it means i lose my shot, especially if it is a moving subject.

Paul

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you might want to check your flash setting in the camera, not only on your flash units. The camera's flash settings can create what you are describing. You might have to check the camera flash setting to make certain that they also are in manual mode. Usually when set to ittl, it will produce pre-flashes. And there is also a red-eye function on the 750 that you can turn off.

Time to get the manual out... :)

Horoscope Fish

Sounds to me like your SB-700 is set to Red Eye Reduction mode, which is set on the flash unit, not on the camera body when using a hot-shoe mounted flash. The settings in the camera body are for the on-board (pop up) flash unit.

paulusdu

Cheers for the tips guys,

Marcel, you were right, the camera flash settings were causing the pre flashes, i set it to fill flash which is exactly what I wanted.

I only noticed the problem yesterday in the studio as i have 2 speedlights acting as back lights on a white background

Cheers guys.