Get Lightroom competitor PhotoDirector 2011 FREE - Windows Only

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Here is the link - notice the dates so you'll need to move fast! I've played with it a bit and it is pretty impressive. Can't beat the price, either!

PhotoDirector_2011_270x212.jpg

robinchun

That may be our blessing in disguise! This IS Cyberlink Software. I have not found them to be a very reliable company. How-ever, I am trying out this beta on my other computer, an HP TouchSmart that I ordered a couple of years ago.

Pete

Pete..Please elaborate on 'not very reliable' ,just downloaded but don't want to do any damage!

Robin

Carolina Photo Guy

In my experience, Cyberlink software tends to be a bit buggy, meaning slow loading, somewhat prone to crash and generally a resource hog. How-ever, I have not tried them for the past few years. I am willing to give them a try, but it will be considerably less forgiving than for Adobe or some other better tested software. At least, now they seem to be trying to get beta testers before they release into the wild. That seems to me to be a good sign.
I have installed this on my own computer. I am willing to give them another chance.
Hope this helps.

Pete

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I've used their PowerDVD product on Windows for years until I discovered VLC. It is a great product but VLC is free.

fotojack

I downloaded it, too, and installed it. So far, no problems. I don't mind testing out a beta version for 90 days, then getting the whole version for free after giving them my opinion of it. What I don't want is them bothering me with free offers and mailings and all that other junk one usually gets with downloads like this.If they start emailing me all the time, I'm just going to cancel and delete it entirely. For now, I'll see how this goes long term.

Carolina Photo Guy

UPDATE!!!

This morning I booted the TouchSmart up and opened up Cyberlink PhotoDirector.

The pictures that I uploaded yesterday, all 300 of them, are GONE!

For me, this is not a problem because I always backup my shots on 3 different drives. So I have lost NOTHING!

However, you newbies out there that didn't backup your shots may encounter a problem. Let this be a vicarious learning experience instead of an
"AW CRAP!" learning experience. Just thought you might like to know.

Pete

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
UPDATE!!!

This morning I booted the TouchSmart up and opened up Cyberlink PhotoDirector.

Pete:

Did you import them "in place" or let PhotoDirector move them? I made a copy to a different directory and then imported in place without any issue.

Ed

Carolina Photo Guy

I thought that the Photo Director was doing all of the work. Apparently he was out taking a whiz when the upload took place.

Probably too much digital coffee!

Either way, no real harm done. I'll just re-load the folder to the desktop and go from there.

Pete

ohkphoto

Snow White
LOL......Helene, have you run CCleaner on your computer lately? Cleans everything up to make it run better. And it wouldn't hurt to run Defrag either.

Did all that, Jack. Just haven't taken the time to free up more disk space and re-install op sys. I think that might help.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Did you import them "in place" or let PhotoDirector move them?
Okay. That does it for me. Couldn't upload and install it yesterday. Don't understand why. Tried 3 times. So I'm not going to bother.
Any program that might move my pics to some other place makes me nervous. Sticking w Lightroom. Lots of truth to the adage, "Don't mess with happiness."

Ruidoso Bill

I have just played with the sample photos and I must say I am impressed. Very Lightroom like sliders. Haven't tried importing any photos yet, maybe later.

fotojack

I dumped it, too. Wouldn't Import any of my pictures. And when I finally did get one to import, it seemed to take forever. So.........not my kind of program. Thanks anyway. :)