Nikon CoolPix P900 verus My Setup

06Honda

I currently shoot birds with a Nikon D50 and the original ver of the 80-400VR handheld. Wondering if this type of camera (Nikon CoolPix P900) would give me similar results or maybe even better, considering an upgrade but haven't decided yet until I saw this one.

Eyelight

I think the differences are too many for a simple answer.

The P900 is likely a nice camera. The big differences that pop out are sensor size, no changing of lenses and the P900 has an electronic viewfinder.

I think the only way to do it would be get one in your hands somewhere that would let you step out the door and shoot and maybe allow you to use your own SD card so you can see the pics on your computer.

If you like the feel of the D50, I would think one of the newer DX bodies would be the way to go.

mikew_RIP

The one thing i feel needs to be taken into consideration is the effect of the atmosphere on your results at something like 2000mm,this video starts at that length and as it zooms back the image start to clear,not saying that it cant work and if you have a raw file from it clarity in photoshop may help.
Sort of wishing it had been out before i bought my V2.

mikew_RIP

Checking the D3300 is currently priced at $499.95 and D5200 at $549.00.

I think with that lens he may need a focus motor in camera,

Not considering one but this picture was available as a down load so i guess ime allowed to play and repost.

As downloaded

DSCN0199.jpg

After a bit of playing

DSCN01991.jpg