Apple Aperture to be removed from the mac app store

skater

Given they are killing it, I find it rude that they're still selling it at all. I hope no one has spent the money for it in the last few months, unaware of its impending demise. Apple should have removed it from the Mac App Store when the announcement was made, or made it free, or at least included a note that it was no longer being updated in the App Store entry for it.

I liked Aperture, though it was getting rather long in the tooth - no lens correction, and noise correction was limited. It sounds like Photos isn't going to have as much power as Aperture, which is kind of troubling given the two limits I just mentioned. Given the uncertainty, I switched to Darktable for my photo processing.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'll wait to see what "Photos for OS" is like (by the way, what a STUPID name for an app :) ) but I suspect that I will finally have to change over to Lightroom. I wish I had gone that route in the first place. First Apple stops iWeb support, which I was using, now Aperture. I love my Macs, but the company really makes me mad at times.

Krs_2007

I'll wait to see what "Photos for OS" is like (by the way, what a STUPID name for an app :) ) but I suspect that I will finally have to change over to Lightroom. I wish I had gone that route in the first place. First Apple stops iWeb support, which I was using, now Aperture. I love my Macs, but the company really makes me mad at times.

You might want to go ahead and make the switch. The reports of the new App in beta is not very good, I know its beta but is close enough to being released that the reports should be better. Some of the tools are not working yet, so not sure of what to expect on the editing side but it does sound like its geared toward very basic toolset.

I'll still use it for Cloud photo storage to share with devices, but I made the switch LR back when this was announced. Sucks because I was really hoping they would make it more like Aperture instead of like iPhoto.

Check out mac rumors for updates.

skater

I got an email to this effect yesterday, too - probably sent it to everyone who purchased through the Mac App Store. I want to be clear; I don't feel like I was ripped off or anything like that - I paid my $80 several years ago and used it a lot, and I understand that software does go EOL eventually. My gripe is that Apple announced they were going to discontinue updates, but continued selling it.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'm making the switch to LR when I have a little time to set up an external HD. My internal drive is getting full, so I might as well start off with LR storing files on an external drive. I am POed at Apple since I bought Aperture only a month or so before they announced they were fading it out. I was ripped off, I'll just go ahead and say it. :livid: