Hofstra Art Shot

Carolina Photo Guy

Hofstra Art.jpg

I think this is one of my best art shots. There is something about it that strongly appeals to me. Am I deluding myself?

Pete

Rick M

Excellent bokeh and a nice sharp image! I know we try not to center our subjects, but the left side of the image does feel empty, verticle composition/cropping perhaps? I like how it appears floating and the colors are very nice.

Carolina Photo Guy

Excellent bokeh and a nice sharp image! I know we try not to center our subjects, but the left side of the image does feel empty, verticle composition/cropping perhaps? I like how it appears floating and the colors are very nice.

I was shooting for the illusion of the image floating OFF the page to the right. I kinda was trying to give movement to a static image. That was why I wanted the darkness on the left side. I was trying to convey a sense of urgency, I guess.
If that makes any sense!

Of course, all of this could just be me trying to justify the shot in the first place! :)

Pete

KWJams

Great shot!

The only thing I can see that may improve it would be to tilt it so the lines created by the back ground stem ran diagonally instead of drawing the viewers eyes vertically up and down the page.

Carolina Photo Guy

The stamin on the blossom always point towards the sun which is straight up. To rotate the blossom now would make it obviously tilted. That is an interesting thought though.

Pete

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Delude yourself all you want, Pete . . . I love you just the way you are! ;):)

If you want "a sense of urgency" in the pic, you need to use a macro so that part of the flower is blurred, and Ken has a point about tilting. I've been experimenting with a little bit of tilting simply because I'm so resistant to it.
As always, I enjoy your flower shots. I wish I had a fraction of the greenery here that you have there! Nice work!

ohkphoto

Snow White
I just thought of another reason why you're drawn to this shot . . . it's unconventional --vertical stem in a horizontal format, and the dark space to the left, makes the eye drift to the right, to the flower.

Now I got it. :cool:

KWJams

Just thinking out loud here to drown out the ringing in my ears.
Maybe shooting in profile instead of landscape would be the perfect solution for a shot like that so vertical lines would not be cropped?

KWJams

Just thinking out loud here to drown out the ringing in my ears.
Maybe shooting in profile instead of landscape would be the perfect solution for a shot like that so vertical lines would not be cropped?

Quoting myself since it sounded like I was saying portrait and landscape in the scene menu. What I was saying was in regards to the orientation.
Tall and narrow instead of short and wide.

KWJams

That's it! Very cool. :cool:

Looking at it, my eyes take in the flower first then the they follow the stem and then see the faint flower bud in the background and return to the flower.

With the earlier picture my eyes would see the flower -- follow the stem and get stuck at the edge of the picture.

silvertip

I like the first pic better than the second. The first pic is awaiting the bee that will come flying in from the left and gather the pollen and off to the beehive.

Kent