Help: Nikon D750 Lens Choice

undercoverbrother

For those with this camera are you happy with it ? How is the inbuilt flash in low-dim light setting ? What size memory cards do you all use (was thinking two 16 or 32 gb).

From all reports the camera is a beast and the body is only as good as the glass that being said what are some good lenses to make this camera's ability shine and make those money shots so to speak haha.

My approx budget for a lens is $1,000. If you need any further information to be able to answer objectively then let me know.

I am aiming to purchase my set up next week :D

Thank You

Edit: What the lens you recommend excels in would be nice to know.

I plan on shooting mainly exotic , classic cars and people (weddings, parties ect) and scenery shots.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

For those with this camera are you happy with it ? How is the inbuilt flash in low-dim light setting ? What size memory cards do you all use (was thinking two 16 or 32 gb).

From all reports the camera is a beast and the body is only as good as the glass that being said what are some good lenses to make this camera's ability shine and make those money shots so to speak haha.

My approx budget for a lens is $1,000. If you need any further information to be able to answer objectively then let me know.

I am aiming to purchase my set up next week :D

Thank You
Wow this is a very open question, knowing what you plan on shooting would be great information...

J-see

Mine is worth every penny. It does a fantastic job. I never use flash so I can't say anything about the inbuilt one.

I use two 64Gb cards since I often bird and shoot bursts, but I can't say I have ever filled one during a shoot. If you bird a lot and long 16Gb might be at the low side for RAW 14bit but for other things it will probably be enough.

Good glass makes a better shot but on an FX that's true for about all glass compared to that same glass on a DX. But some lenses do better than others yet those are not always cheap.

J-see

For lenses it'll depend if you want one to cover that whole range from scenery to people or if you prefer a couple of primes.

undercoverbrother

Definitely will have more than one lens. I guess the first one should be one suitable for weddings, parties , fixed features such as the cars, boats ect.

Scenery lens can wait for now lol.

rwdflynavy

I just moved up to the D750 from the 7100. So far I've got the Tamron 24-70 and 70-200 VC versions (they are fantastic BTW). Plan to add the Tamron 15-30 when it comes out to complete my trinity. I've got a Nikon 85mm 1.8d so far for a prime. Like J-see, I've got 2 64gb SD cards.

J-see

The 70-200 Tam and Nikon are a bit beyond his budget but if the lens does not need to be as fast, the Nikon 70-200mm f/4 is much closer to his budget and optically a tiny bit sharper than the Tam.

About all my lenses at the moment are good performers, at least the reasonable priced ones and some of them are not even that expensive. I think my optically weakest right now is the 50mm 1.8. I was looking to replace it but for some reason, all 50mm seem to perform like that. If you ignore Zeiss.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you're just going to get the 750, you might as well get it with the 24-120 and save some money at the same time. The amount of money is a little tight if you want the best lens (24-70 2,8 starts around 1300.00$).

undercoverbrother

The 70-200 Tam and Nikon are a bit beyond his budget but if the lens does not need to be as fast, the Nikon 70-200mm f/4 is much closer to his budget and optically a tiny bit sharper than the Tam.

About all my lenses at the moment are good performers, at least the reasonable priced ones and some of them are not even that expensive. I think my optically weakest right now is the 50mm 1.8. I was looking to replace it but for some reason, all 50mm seem to perform like that. If you ignore Zeiss.

If this is the Tamron mentioned above it is affordable however the other one mentioned is close to $1700, maybe in a few months.
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lenses approx $715

I don't mind going over $1000 within reason for example $1000-1300, haha

Last edited:

J-see

If this is the Tamron mentioned above it is affordable however the other one mentioned is close to $1700, maybe in a few months.
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lenses approx $715

I don't mind going over $1000 within reason for example $1000-1300, haha

I was talking about the:

SP 70-200MM F/2.8 Di VC USD

That's the "better" version. It's a bit more expensive than the other. But the Nikon 70-200mm f/4 does about as well and is a bit sharper in the 70mm range when used at f/4 or when closed down around f/8 or more. The Tam is a bit sharper in the 200mm range. But she's f/2.8 which can make a difference depending the shoot.

Mind you; "a bit sharper" would require pixel peeping to see the difference.

Last edited:

J-see

Btw, I don't know if you have a Nikon cam and lenses already but if, maybe think about using those on the D750 for the time being and buy the good stuff when you can afford.

Even the 70.200mm f/4 costs quite some and it'd be too much money to throw at if you actually desire the one just out of your budget.

undercoverbrother

unfortunately, don't own anything atm, starting from scratch, the original plan was to get the d7100 and a few lenses but I figured I will end up on full frame and have to spend more in the long run doing it this way.

I might consider the SP 70-200MM F/2.8 Di VC USD (at approx $1300), the 24-70 nikon costs as much as the body of the d750 a bit too much to fork out in one hit with the body.

I will read about the one you recommend, if you think its a good lens for that price range and application mentioned above.

Horoscope Fish

I might consider the SP 70-200MM F/2.8 Di VC USD (at approx $1300), the 24-70 nikon costs as much as the body of the d750 a bit too much to fork out in one hit with the body.

I'm shooting with a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD on my D750 currently. If you can swing it, it's an outstanding lens. I mean *WOW* it's good.

Also, is this you?

undercover_brother.jpg

Because if so, you... Are my hero.

Horoscope Fish

Nice throwback, That was me in 2003 hahahahahahha.
I thought you might be referencing the movie... Which is hilarious.

Are all your Flickr photos using the d750 and 70-200 lens?, if so simply magical.
Not all of them by any means but many of the most recent shots were. I'm doing a Project 365 (one shot a day for 365 consecutive days) and many of the latest shots in that thread were taken with the Tam'. That thread is here if you want to look it over. The EXIF data will tell you if the shot was taken with the Tamron 70-200mm or not both in the 365 thread and on my Flckr page. It's just easier on the 365 thread since the EXIF pops up when you hover.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I will repeat my advice. If you can't afford the holy trinity (14-24, 24-70 &70-200 2.8), start with the 24-120 F4 VR II. This is the lens you will stick to your D750 until the money comes in. It will allow you to cover a lot of ground and is very close to the 24-70 as far as IQ is concerned.

Blade Canyon

A 50mm 1.8 G is pretty cheap ($200 new), all things considered, but they are sharp. If you want the 1.4G, it's $400 new. The 1.8 D is only $105. (All prices B&H Photo.) One of these is a great lens to keep in your arsenal, versatile and very lightweight. It's great for shooting people pics at parties and weddings. For wider angles (scenes and exotic cars), a 24mm 2.8D lens is $360. Finally, a Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR zoom f4-5.6 is $590.

That zoom will not be the sharpest or fastest piece of glass around (but is supposed to be pretty good up to 200mm), but it should serve you well in outdoor daytime settings. The smaller primes will be sharp and fast, giving you a lot of flexibility in lower light.