Questions about the D750 (Lens Flare Related)

undercoverbrother

Hi Guys,

I initially had plans to purchase the D7100, however I don't really want to upgrade within a year or two to full frame, its cheaper in the long run to make the leap now rather than later. I would rather fork out the extra money and get something to suit my current and future needs.

I convinced myself to make the $1000 increase since the extra features and upgraded internals such as in built flash and full frame seem to justify the increase ( i think / hope lol) then I found out about the lens flare issue. Yes, Nikon are fixing it on models affected however I don't want to purchase a new camera only to have it in repair instantly.

Does the box include the serial number on the outside so I can check if it is new stock (from Australia btw) before purchase ?, are all models affected included newer makes ?

Sorry If this is a repeated question, I am new and have made some effort into reading as much as I can relating to the D750 here.

J-see

My D750 box has the serial number on it so you see if before opening.

I have the flare issue but for me it is no issue at all. I never had it show in any of my shots and until it does, I am not sending mine in to be fixed. For you it might be different depending what you do but it's not as if it will ruin every shot you dare to take near any light-source.

It needs a very specific angle at a very specific distance from a light-source.

Everything sold now should be fixed.

Daz

When you buy the camera, Nikon have put a black dot inside of the Tripod mount to indicate that is has been fixed, just ask to look at the camera before you buy it

d750_2.jpg

mrpbnm

When you buy the camera, Nikon have put a black dot inside of the Tripod mount to indicate that is has been fixed, just ask to look at the camera before you buy it

d750_2.jpg

One should first check the serial number to determine if a camera was in the affected range of serial numbers. If it is, then you would want to check for the black dot to determine if it has been repaired. My D750 has no black dot, but it is also not on the list of affected serial numbers.

Al Gentile

Daz:

I think I read elsewhere that for new cameras that have been fixed (or are beyond the affected serial number range), there's a blue dot on the box, and nothing in the tripod socket. I think checking the serial number is the safer way to go.

Al Gentile

Daz

Daz:

I think I read elsewhere that for new cameras that have been fixed (or are beyond the affected serial number range), there's a blue dot on the box, and nothing in the tripod socket. I think checking the serial number is the safer way to go.

Al Gentile

Nope it was the Black Dot in the Tripod mount for the flare issue :)

Nikon tells customers to check the tripod socket on their cameras, because any camera purchased after the flare issue was announced could have already been updated. Even if your serial number reports that your camera has the flaw, a black dot means that you can ignore the alert.

A black dot inside the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera indicates that Nikon has already fixed the issue.

So looking for the serial number isnt really going to help as the "Affected" ones would have been recalled and fixed by now :)

Nikon Releases Official D750 Service Advisory About Flare Issue | Popular Photography

Here is the Nikon Release

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19336

The serial number works if you already have the D750 and want to know if you have the flare issue, for NEW purchases the Black dot is the indication that Nikon has used

Last edited:

mrpbnm

...So looking for the serial number isnt really going to help as the "Affected" ones would have been recalled and fixed by now :)...

The serial number works if you already have the D750 and want to know if you have the flare issue, for NEW purchases the Black dot is the indication that Nikon has used

Well, I just got my D750 from Adorama last week. It had no black dot in the tripod mount hole. I was not happy - until I checked the serial number and found that it was "not affected". The only way to tell that a camera that doesn't have a black dot is "not affected" is to check the serial number. So, it would seem that first checking the serial number could possibly save you a step.

Also, I wouldn't want to purchase a camera if the box had been opened, but that's just me...:cool:

mrpbnm

I have an allegedly affected D750 and I can't make the flare happen to save my life.

My first D750 is affected (and on it's way to be serviced). It did not exhibit the typical flare that I've seen in photos showing it. But, I did notice some of my photos showed a very bright strip along the top of a wall and on some vertical shots, the photo looked normal except there was a bright band running from top to bottom on the left edge.