Please help...

christine2121

I am very new to this and I don't know a lot about anything but I had read that it is best to shot in RAW so I changed my setting so that I would be shooting in RAW. I uploaded my pictures and everything was great until I tried to upload onto facebook or send in an email. When I upload it onto facebook the picture is very small and blurry and when I email and try to open it on a phone it tells me it can not be downloaded. Please help me and tell me there is something I can do to fix this I would really love to share the photos of a little girls birthday party!!

480sparky

Raw files are meant to be processed first. You need to convert the image to .JPG first. What you're seeing is a small .JPG thumbnail embedded into the .NEF file. You can convert them easily with the software that came with the camera, or download it for free from Nikon's website.

Horoscope Fish

I am very new to this and I don't know a lot about anything but I had read that it is best to shot in RAW so I changed my setting so that I would be shooting in RAW. I uploaded my pictures and everything was great until I tried to upload onto facebook or send in an email. When I upload it onto facebook the picture is very small and blurry and when I email and try to open it on a phone it tells me it can not be downloaded. Please help me and tell me there is something I can do to fix this I would really love to share the photos of a little girls birthday party!!
What you're going to need to do is open the RAW files and the re-save them as .JPG instead. RAW files are "unfinished" digital files, they're designed for people who want to edit them using software like Photoshop.

Last edited:

PapaST

Going from your camera to the computer what program are you using? NX2 perhaps? Or Lightroom? It's sounds like your export is a problem... meaning when you import them to your application, do enhancements then export for "consumption" your settings might be off there. Let us know which program you're using.

christine2121

Where do I go to save them to JPG? (I am wokring on windows 8) Can I do it in the nikon viewNX2? And are you saying that I shouldnt shot in RAW until I know a little bit more as to what I am doing lol

christine2121

Going from your camera to the computer what program are you using? NX2 perhaps? Or Lightroom? It's sounds like your export is a problem... meaning when you import them to your application, do enhancements then export for "consumption" your settings might be off there. Let us know which program you're using.

I am using NX2

480sparky

. NEF files are the digital equivalent of film negatives. You can batch process them in ViewNX to convert them to .JPEGs.

Just launch the software, select all the images (Ctrl+A), then right-click and choose Output > Convert Files.

I am using NX2

There's two versions of NX2.... View, which is free and probably what you have, and Capture, which costs money.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
IF using View NX2, select the picture/s you want to save and click on "Convert" tab (On top of menu bar or under File Tab) and it will probably have a box with tiff16 in in, but it will have a drop down to select jpg. jpg is what you want. Set any other things you want and save the pictures. Now you will have xxxxx.jpg file names that can be displayed where you like.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Here is a screen shot of what I am trying to say with steps labeled 1, 2, 3

Capture.PNG

christine2121

. NEF files are the digital equivalent of film negatives. You can batch process them in ViewNX to convert them to .JPEGs.

Just launch the software, select all the images (Ctrl+A), then right-click and choose Output > Convert Files.

There's two versions of NX2.... View, which is free and probably what you have, and Capture, which costs money.

It worked!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WayneF

There is a newer version now. The Nikon Capture NX2 Raw software was developed by Nik Software, but that company was bought by Google (offering Nik Collection now, which are Photoshop plugins). Google will not be supporting Nikon's version.

But Nikon has a replacement NX-D version available, as yet no charge.

Nikon also offers their simpler ViewNX2 Raw software. This ViewNX version is free.

But a novice not prepared for raw probably should be shooting JPG, until they are ready. Raw is intended to be processed, and it does not gain anything by just doing a straight unthinking conversion. JPG already does that much.

Last edited:

Vixen

I think thatif you want to start editing your shots in software, then shoot RAW but if you want to be able to upload them quickly shoot JPEG's. When I first started out I set my camera to save both RAW and JPEG (at highest quality). I still do it sometimes if I am going to want to post a heap of shots to FB or one of the forums I am on, and don't want to bother with having to post process a heap of shots ;)

Shooting both formats allows you to post straight out of the camera, and also to go back later and play with the RAW files if you wish. :D

WayneF

Your link to 'ViewNX2 Raw' is for View NX2. It is simply ViewNX2.. no 'raw' in the title.

My error must be the upper case R. :) Lightroom, Capture One, DxO Optics Pro, RawTherapee, Aftershot2... they are all raw software, but they can process JPG too.