D810 DX Modes

WayneF

Does anyone us the different DX modes? I keep thinking full FX 36 mp and crop later will yield higher/as much quality. Just curious...

The DX crop is just a smaller central area (crop) of the full FX frame. There is no reason there should be any difference at all, other than a DX crop is only 15 megapixels, and full FX is 36 megapixels. But the same central pixels, just fewer of them.

DX is just a crop. In a D810, exactly the same pixels if you crop it in the camera, or crop it later in the photo editor. In a DX camera, just a smaller sensor. And regardless how you crop it, the smaller image has to be enlarged half again larger to view it as same size as uncropped FX.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

More Images (less size) and faster FPS would be the only reason I can think of also, thanks. Just curious if anyone uses it.

Last edited:

WayneF

Then you could use the JPG Medium or Small image size, which would also be a smaller image, but which would retain the wider view of the full sensor size. Cropping may help telephoto, but it makes wide angle be impossible. :)

Medium or Small probably helps noise too, if you average several pixels instead of just using the central ones as is.

Ruidoso Bill

Then you could use the JPG Medium or Small image size, which would also be a smaller image, but which would retain the wider view of the full sensor size. Cropping may help telephoto, but it makes wide angle be impossible. :)

Medium or Small probably helps noise too, if you average several pixels instead of just using the central ones as is.

Thanks, I don't think my cameras have shot jpeg's except when I check shutter count, lol

Moab Man

The D7100 has a crop mode too. The only reason I could possibly think of to use it would be to shoot faster or have more photos on the SD card.

I use it when I'm shooting things that I know are going to come no where close to filling a frame. Allows the intended target to open up bigger when the file opens, but of course not necessary.