D7100 flash button

bptrav11

A little help needed. Just purchase a new D7100 and while going through the buttons, and getting used to a new camera, I noticed that when I press the flash release button the LCD on top screen goes blank. I have never seen this on any other camera I have used and do not think it is normal but would like to know if anyone has encountered this before. Thanks.

PapaST

That sounds odd. When you press it does your flash pop up? If you press and hold you get the flash compensation interface on the top (which might look "blank"). That interface is to adjust the strength of the flash. You should see a flash compensation emblem along with a number which goes up or down depending which way you scroll.

If you are seeing NOTHING at all then that does sound weird.

bptrav11

Thanks for settling my nerves. I believe that is what it was. I am new to digital cameras and not used to all the bells and whistle. I have a background in film cameras and never really went to digital and auto focus till now. Huge difference from film! It is going to take a bit of getting used to. Again thanks

Thanks for settling my nerves. I believe that is what it was. I am new to digital cameras and not used to all the bells and whistle. I have a background in film cameras and never really went to digital and auto focus till now. Huge difference from film! It is going to take a bit of getting used to. Again thanks

Once you do get used to it you will LOVE the D7100. It is a beast of a camera.

If you have not already you need to look into Fine Tuning the Lenses for your D7100. there is a good chance your photos will be sharper after you do.

Last edited:

jkaod

Once you do get used to it you will LOVE the D7100. It is a east of a camera.

If you have not already you need to look into Fine Tuning the Lenses for your D7100. there is a good chance your photos will be sharper after you do.

Fine tuning lenses? Please tell me more.

That sounds odd. When you press it does your flash pop up? If you press and hold you get the flash compensation interface on the top (which might look "blank"). That interface is to adjust the strength of the flash. You should see a flash compensation emblem along with a number which goes up or down depending which way you scroll.

If you are seeing NOTHING at all then that does sound weird.

Thanks for reminding us about that 'flash compensation' feature. I had completely forgotten about that...
It's nice to use that feature, especially when you're outside or kind of far away from your subject, you can bump up the power of the flash to +1, or lower it quite a bit too for other situations...