Post-prod using Linux

gcg79

Greetings Nikonites,

I'm a Ubuntu user and someone who's trying to create a post-production environment in a Linux distribution.

Have you Nikonites-Linuxnites ever used any solid and reliable post-production RAW editors? I've explored Darktable and Lightzone, but found them a little bit confusing snd slow. I've recently discovered Rawtherapee and I'm enjoying it a little better, thou I wanted to hear from you in order to compare experiences and maybe discover some other interesting and complete software of the kind.

Thanks!

skater

I use Darktable and was at first overwhelmed by the features, but it didn't take me long to figure it out and use it after coming from Aperture. I set up a couple tools as favorites and stay within that menu - crop/rotate, white balance, denoise, and a lens distortion correction. It's not super fast, but I haven't used a photo editor that is. My biggest gripe is that it crashes from time to time.

gcg79

Great. Thanks for that. I'm really enjoying it. Exploring what I can find. I particularly like to work with contrasts, and it is really a bit slow to see the results, but the outcome is great considering an open source software.

wornish

It doesn't make any difference what OS you are using to do post processing when it comes to speed. To handle today's 12 - 36mp images needs reasonable cpu processing power. If you run Windows , Mac or Linux it will still feel slow to see results if your processor is slow and/or you don't have sufficient memory and fast storage, it's basic physics.

The two packages you mentioned DT and RT are at the leading edge and are a match for most of the mainstream products in terms of speed. I haven't found anything that can overcome this so far.

skater

It doesn't make any difference what OS you are using to do post processing when it comes to speed. To handle today's 12 - 36mp images needs reasonable cpu processing power. If you run Windows , Mac or Linux it will still feel slow to see results if your processor is slow and/or you don't have sufficient memory and fast storage, it's basic physics.

Yeah. I guess I just haven't accepted that Core 2 processors (which are what my desktop and laptop both have) aren't quite up to today's standards. Both computers work fine for everything but photo processing, so it's hard to point at the processors and say "OUT OF DATE!" But I guess they are. :)

skater

Yeah. I guess I just haven't accepted that Core 2 processors (which are what my desktop and laptop both have) aren't quite up to today's standards. Both computers work fine for everything but photo processing, so it's hard to point at the processors and say "OUT OF DATE!" But I guess they are. :)

Well, I was due a birthday gift, and my wife and I talked about it and realized we haven't upgraded my desktop since 2009 or 2010. So now a new motherboard, processor, RAM, and SSD are on the way. :)