D750 flare issue, not only not solved but worse than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad nikon user

I just received a new D750 that is supposed to have the flare issue corrected. It is not, it is terrible and at the bottom of the frame, not the top and Nikon cleared it as being fixed. They told me themselves. They are also in their usual conceded mode refusing to accept there is no problem and treating me as a customer as dirt. I suspect that anyone who hasn't seen the problem as previously reported has it on the bottom of the frame. I am so tired of Nikon; wish back in the 80's that I went with Canon (love their products, but hate the way Nikon USA treats us) instead of Nikon but have too much invested in their system to change. Tried contacting DP review but they are unreachable. Have bad hands; can't explain in detail.

P.S. So you all know (if you didn't already); Nikon puts a small black dot inside the tripod socket on the camera if it has been repaired. Mine did not have this which leads me to fear that anyone who didn't show the problem in the top of the frame has the problem in the bottom of the frame.

Last edited:

AC016

Okay, to bad that the outcome was not as expected. Could you post photos of the issue being worse then before? I think we would all like to see them.

Daz

I just received a new D750 that is supposed to have the flare issue corrected. It is not, it is terrible and at the bottom of the frame,

I am so tired of Nikon; wish back in the 80's that I went with Canon (love their products, but hate the way Nikon USA treats us) instead of Nikon but have too much invested in their system to change. can't explain in detail.

What settings are you using to shoot in? in certain extremities flare will happen regardless

As others have said Pictures of this flare speak 1000 words

Camera gear holds good value so changing to another Maker wont actually cost that much

mad nikon user

Actually, in my case it cost me a fortune I do not have. I have been using Nikon since the 1980's and have too many lenses and accessories to even consider changing. Keep this in mind before you put yourself in the same position. Photos coming shortly and I will give the information; nothing done to create the flare as far as I know. I even shot the same photos a different ISO's and it did vary slightly but then again my positioning of the frame may have not been exactly the same either, but the flairing occurred from low to high ISO's.

Last edited:

mad nikon user

Here are the photos you all have been waiting for. I was just playing with low light photos at high ISO's to see how noisy the photos were and this is what I got.I know the shutter speeds look questionable but that is what the camera did; I never looked at it until when I was collecting the data. All I did was input them in lightroom 5 and convert them to a size and to j-pegs for the internet to send. No adjustments of any kind were done. For references all photos in the photos are 8 X 10. Just noticed that exposure compensation is listed, along with the other data (which I did not know was done) and that there has been compensations of -.33 and +.33 in the photos. I did not do that; the camera did it all on its own (?) which is puzzling to me, but then I just got the camera less than 24 hours before these were taken.

metadata:
All photos taken with new D750 DSLR at ISO 6400 and in aperture priority mode and matrix metering.
Nikon 35-70mm f2.8 lens at 70mm, f2.8.

Photo 1 at 1/40th of a second
Photo 2 at 1/80th of a second
Photo 3 at 1/100th of a second
Photo 4 at 1/100th of a second 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:

J-see

Is in that first shot below your television switched on?

If you shoot at high ISO, pixels saturated already at lower ISO will spread out to others. You're letting the amplifier multiply the photon count which results in much faster saturation of every pixel near a light-source.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Is in that first shot below your television switched on?

If you shoot at high ISO, pixels saturated already at lower ISO will spread out to others. You're letting the amplifier multiply the photon count which results in much faster saturation of every pixel near a light-source.

I was going to say that j-see

http://

J-see

I was going to say that j-see

http://

The shot/link does not show Mike.

This is very common when I do night shots. If I use high ISO, light pollution will wash out my whole shot if it's bad even when I myself hardly see it through the viewfinder. It's simply an electron overflow. Every pixel can hold the amount of electrons defined by the full well capacity. The moment there's a massive overload of "light", (or you create it by amplifying photon count) the well can't handle that and it'll start spilling to neighboring pixels. When those get overloaded, they again spill into their neighbors and slowly the shot starts washing out.

It's normal sensor behavior.

Chris E

So, mad Nikon user creates an account yesterday and posts some BS with a TV running at the bottom of the picture. And, oh yeah, he can't type because of bad hands.

He could have kept this rolling for awhile, but he screwed up when he got part of the TV in his first shot.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Your problem is NOT your D750. Your problem is your 35-70 2.8 at 2.8 PLUS your tv that is turned on and sits right below the frame. I'm 100% certain that when you took some shots the tv's image was mostly dark but then it was almost white when you took some shots.

I also have this particular lens and it's famous for the flare issue when using it with a light in front of it.

If you can reproduce the same problem with a 50mm 1.8 then we can talk about a problem.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Here are the photos you all have been waiting for. I was just playing with low light photos at high ISO's to see how noisy the photos were and this is what I got. I know the shutter speeds look questionable but that is what the camera did; I never looked at it until when I was collecting the data. All I did was input them in Lightroom 5 and convert them to a size and to JPG's for the internet to send. No adjustments of any kind were done. For references all photos in the photos are 8x10.

Just noticed that exposure compensation is listed, along with the other data (which I did not know was done) and that there has been a compensation of -.33 and +.33 in the photos. I did not do that; the camera did it all on its own (?) which is puzzling to me, but then I just got the camera less than 24 hours before these were taken. All photos taken with new D750 DSLR at ISO 6400 and in aperture priority mode and matrix metering.Nikon 35-70mm f2.8 lens at 70mm, f2.8.

View attachment 142484
Photo 1 at 1/40th of a second

View attachment 142485
Photo 2 at 1/80th of a second

View attachment 142486
Photo 3 at 1/100th of a second

View attachment 142487
Photo 4 at 1/100th of a second
Okay I've taken some liberty in reformatting the OP so I can wrap my brain around what's going on here.

Am I understanding correctly what I'm seeing in Photo #1 is supposed to be related to the D750 "banding" issue? I want to double check because it's early here, I didn't sleep well, I'm still on my first cup of coffee and I don't want to jump to any conclusions but... I have read this thread a few times now and that's what I keep coming back to.

Can someone please confirm my understanding is correct?

Chris E

Okay I've taken some liberty in reformatting the OP so I can wrap my brain around what's going on here.

Am I understanding correctly what I'm seeing in Photo #1 is supposed to be related to the D750 "banding" issue? I want to double check because it's early here, I didn't sleep well, I'm still on my first cup of coffee and I don't want to jump to any conclusions but... I have read this thread a few times now and that's what I keep coming back to.

Can someone please confirm my understanding is correct?

I can confirm that those of you that are taking this thread seriously are being trolled.

Status
Not open for further replies.