Pictures Too Pixel-y?

Paeeje

Hi, I'm a brand new Nikon user. My Nikon D7000 just came yesterday, and I've been playing around with the settings and whatnot, just trying to get a feel for it, you know? I've had a Canon up until now, and I decided I wanted to upgrade, so this stuff is brand new to me.

I've been snapping pictures with different settings to just see what the camera can do, and every picture seems to be super pixelated and just not very good at all. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

DSC_0109.jpgDSC_0110.jpg

I'm very very new with this kind of camera, so please explain things easily! Thank you!

J-see

What JPEG settings are you shooting?

All I see is that it is underexposed by about a stop which could increase noise. Do you have the same problem when shooting outside?

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I agree they look a little underexposed... They look a little "soft" to me as well.

If you shoot JPG primarily I'm going to suggest you increase the Sharpness setting in the Picture Controls menu:

Press the Menu button, scroll down and highlight the "Shooting Menu" (the camera icon).
Click right one time, scroll down and highlight the "Set Picture Control" menu and click right one more time.
Scroll down and highlight "Standard" and the click right one time.
From this menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting from the strangely low default setting to "+7" and increase "Saturation" one notch to the right (+1, essentially).
Press the "OK" button save these changes and back out of the menus.​

Take some additional shots and see if you don't like how they look a little better now. The Sharpness adjustment should make a big difference.

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites, Paeeje. Welcome to the forum.

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

FAQ

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download | Nikon Knowledgebase
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Become a Contributing Member

Paeeje...if you send me your email address, I can send you a Setup Guide for your D7000 which will help you set up your cameras shooting banks.