3100 Upgrade

Bart Gault

Hello All, I am planning on replacing my 3100 (I have 6 DX lenses) and am trying to determine what I should purchase, a 3300,5300,5500,7000,or a 7100? All are obviously DX types, but I am trying to ascertain the actual advantages of the various models. Sensors and resolutions are almost the same, but I am interested in the real differences. Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated. By the way, I still have old style Nikon F and my Nikonos underwater cameras. Don't use them anymore, but I will never get rid of them. Thanks in advance for your information, really appreciate it. Bart

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If size is important to you (meaning smaller for travel), get the 5300. Otherwise, the 7100 is THE camera to get. Opinions will differ.

Daz

As said the 7100 is the place to be, I am looking to upgrade my D3300 to the 7100 in the next couple months (and ive only had the 3300 about 5 months) its a great piece of kit

adityasoman

Size and Budget then D5300/ 5500 only if u want touch screen else waste of money
24mpx and 39 focus points are a biggie..excellent for normal and slight advance usage..u can really crop without worrying..plus the ISO handling is good..a flipout screen for those different angles

If going ahead in photography
Take the next step towards D7100
More controls and more rigid body..everything is more here

Keep the D3100 as your secondary camera and get a d7100 ;)

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

aroy

I will argue on a different point.

. Get the D5xxx series if you want the flip screen. It is perfect for low level shooting especially macros.
. Get D7xxx series if you want a rugged body, with two card slots and compatibility with older AI/AIS lenses.
. If you want better low light capability, "wider" wide angle capability and compatibility with older MF lenses, then you should think of upgrading to FX sensor body.

Other wise if all you want is the 24MP sensor and excellent video in a very small package, go for the D3300 + 18-55 VR-II, and save your self a lot of money that you can invest in good glass.