How do I put my photos onto a samsung chromebook.

steve r

Hi everyone, I have just purchased a Nikon D3300 and when I put the SD card into my samsung chromebook It wont let me see the photos. Has anyone got any idea how i can sort this problem. It works with my Nikon coolpix S6300 but not with the D3300.
Thanks in advance.

weebee

You could also do what ever processing you want to do with them, convert to jpegs and transfer. If memory serves me the chrome books don't have a large HD. Raw images are going to eat up your gigs in a hurry. Or, are you keeping them on a SD card or thumb drive?

steve r

Hi Paul, I have just tried It. and unfortunately the NEF Codec Download has to work with windows, and my Chrome book uses Chrome OS. I've searched for a suitable replacement App in the chrome store but cant find one. I'm a bit stumped what to do now, apart from buying another laptop with windows.

Atb, Steve.

steve r

You could also do what ever processing you want to do with them, convert to jpegs and transfer. If memory serves me the chrome books don't have a large HD. Raw images are going to eat up your gigs in a hurry. Or, are you keeping them on a SD card or thumb drive?

Hi weebee, I keep them on A SD card, but like to look at them on my chrome book, and upload photos to my car club forum.
But as you know I'm a newbie to the photography world and have only used a Nikon coolpix as a digital camera before. Other than that I have only had a Canon 700 35mm.

Atb, Steve.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Until you find the proper codec program that will accept NEF files on your ChromeBook, I suggest that you shoot NEF and Jpeg, move the NEF files on a disk for future use and just transfer the Jpegs on your ChromeBook. There might come a day when the Book will open NEF files but I would't hold my breath. Processing NEFs takes a lot of computer power.

steve r

Thanks J-see, I'll try it.

Until you find the proper codec program that will accept NEF files on your ChromeBook, I suggest that you shoot NEF and Jpeg, move the NEF files on a disk for future use and just transfer the Jpegs on your ChromeBook. There might come a day when the Book will open NEF files but I would't hold my breath. Processing NEFs takes a lot of computer power.

Thanks Marcel, I'll shoot in Jpeg for the time being. I've just tried it and it works. The problem was I set the camera up to a setting I found on the internet, and the RAW setting is no good on my Chrome book, as I have just found out though you guys. But now I'm shooting in Jpeg all is fine. Newbies a lol.

But as said, thanks for all your help guys, and I think this is the place I'll stay to read, pester and learn.

Atb, Steve.