Want to Buy Telephoto Lens

buntokomuller

I have Nikon D 5100. In the next day, I want to buy telephoto lens to get close to a distant object such as. an artist on the stage. Any recommendation? Budget range between $200 - $500

Thanks
g.png

Felisek

With this sort of budget you are probably looking at something like 70-300 VR. However, with f/5.6 at the long end this lens is not particularly fast, and you might struggle taking decent pictures if there is not enough light on stage. Faster telephoto lenses are very expensive, though.

buntokomuller

With this sort of budget you are probably looking at something like 70-300 VR. However, with f/5.6 at the long end this lens is not particularly fast, and you might struggle taking decent pictures if there is not enough light on stage. Faster telephoto lenses are very expensive, though.

Thanks for suggestion
g.png

Fortkentdad

Stretch your budget and look at the used market.
I have a D5100 - keep in mind that if you want Autofocus you need a lens with a motor.

Moab Man

I would be looking used and look for a lens with an aperture of 1.8-2.8 (lower the number is better). Anything less (bigger numbers are less aperture opening) will not give you enough light. This is a tough order to fill. The only thing coming to mind for me is a Tamron 90mm macro f/2.8 but I don't know if this will be enough telephoto for you.

The lens I am suggesting.

Amazon.com : Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras (Model 272EE) : Tamron Macro : Camera & Photo

Horoscope Fish

I have Nikon D 5100. In the next day, I want to buy telephoto lens to get close to a distant object such as. an artist on the stage. Any recommendation? Budget range between $200 - $500
I'd recommend you hold on to your $500, add a little to it and then consider the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR. Not very fast but it'll get the job done; you'll just be pushing the ISO or using a stabilizer (aka tripod). Many people find happiness with the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR which sells for around $200 new. Again, it's slow but speed is going to cost you big bucks. If you wanna hang out in f/2.8-ville, you need to be prepared to break well into the fourth digit, price-wise.

carguy

Thanks
g.png
About how far away? Considering the budget, maybe look at the 85mm 1.8G, on your D5100 that would give you about a 127mm 'field of view'. Might be enough if you are a few rows back from your subject and still be 'fast' enough for the low light.
The main issue may be the ISO capabilities of the D5100 and how dark the venue is (assuming it is indoors).