A Vehicle You DON'T Want to See in Your Driveway

TedG954

DFB FD    5.jpg

DFB FD    6.jpg

DFB FD    7.jpg

DFB FD    8.6.jpg

DFB FD    8.jpg

I'm sure the drug cartel is much better armed. You expect the cops to go up against them with a service-issue .38?

Most police that I know are using 9mm now. Has good stopping power. They also have AR15 223 but around here they don't all have those in their cars. Our sheriff department got 2 surplus Army Humvee. From what my son has told me (ex Army) and from what I have read the cost of upkeep is going to make using the vehicles impossible.

TedG954

Current police are using a mix of 9mm, .40, and .45acp pistols. Most cruiser trunks have patrol rifles like Don said... AR15 variants.

When I looked over the vehicle above, it didn't appear to be based on a Humvee vehicle. This is a custom built vehicle by Lenco, and probably more municipal-friendly.

www.lencoarmor.com

It's not militarization. It's good common sense and police safety prudent.

An area like Broward County needs a vehicle such as this; not every community, but one to a county-sized area sure makes sense.

Moab Man

I lived in Broward for many years, and have a background with this kind of equipment, it's not for civilian police in Broward or anywhere else in America.

TedG954

I've lived in Broward for almost 40 years, and I'm an ex-cop, and experienced more than one full riot. I believe this type of vehicle is more than necessary. I'm not in the game anymore, and unless you are, deciding what's appropriate for an officer's safety is outside your pay grade.

Last edited:

Moab Man

I've lived in Broward for almost 40 years, and I'm an ex-cop, and experienced more than one full riot. I believe this type of vehicle is more than necessary.

Logical stance from each side of the issue - the police side versus the civilian having dealt with cops that have a god complex. I am by no means anti-cop, but don't like military equipment, which is what this is in essence, in the hands of civilians (police).

Oh well, again, logical difference of opinion from where you stand.

I've lived in Broward for almost 40 years, and I'm an ex-cop, and experienced more than one full riot. I believe this type of vehicle is more than necessary. I'm not in the game anymore, and unless you are, deciding what's appropriate for an officer's safety is outside your pay grade.

Logical stance from each side of the issue - the police side versus the civilian having dealt with cops that have a god complex. I am by no means anti-cop, but don't like military equipment, which is what this is in essence, in the hands of civilians (police).

Oh well, again, logical difference of opinion from where you stand.

I really think that some police departments do go to far with military equipment and really should not have it.

BUT and this is a big but

I do believe there are some communities that do need a stronger stance from their police. Communities that have a major drug problem (Ones where the cartels or major distributors are based) These guys sometimes are at war with these gangs. The bad guys are armed with state of the art fully automatic weapons that no amount of laws are going to take away.

It is a tricky question and it really needs to be on a as needed basis. My little sleepy town does not need this type of equipment. The next town over which is the capital city of Alabama does need it. There are areas 3 blocks from the police department that they will not go into without at least 3 cars and air support.

montignac

How can there be areas where police will not go into? We have the same areas in a few places in the uk and I find it unacceptable. I just wish the politicians had the guts to stand up to not only the trouble makers but also the do gooders who complain when the police take necessary action.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

We're fortunate here in Durham. Although we have our share of crime, we usually do not have openly active gang violence in most areas. There are some bad areas though and the State HWP is outifitted for such areas. After having lived in South Florida for 3 years, they DO need equipment such as what was shown. The thugs down there don't mind a little shoot up in a mall occaisionally. You never know where they'll strike down there.