New with D3000

AidensMom09

Hi Everyone!​

My name is Lorie, I am a single mom to one amazing boy. My son was born with a rare liver disease and as much as I wish I could of afforded one of these when he was born but unfortunately I couldn't. Well Now that he is healthy after a liver transplant and I am able to afford a DSLR, I am hoping to get some much needed advice. I guess I need some good shooting tips and I want to buy a new lens but confused on what to buy. I would like a 55-200mm, but under $200. Best Buy, where I bought my camera has some... any other places where I could get them at a reasonable price?? Sorry I am new and need help! I've actually taken some good shots. I know how to somewhat use.
Thanks in advance for the help~
Lorie​

PavementPilot

Welcome to Nikonites, and I'm glad to hear that your son is healthy with his new liver.

As for shooting tips, I could suggest a book by Bryan Peterson, 'Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition' or later. If you already understand the exposure triangle, then my apolgies for this suggestion. If you are looking at suggestions for wildlife, portrait, scenery, etc, there are lots of books available at local libraries, and online.

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Lorie and welcome to the Nikonites Community. This is a great place to get help and advice. A 55-200mm for under $200? It's a close call but you should find a Nikkor 55-200mm VR for around $215. It's not a very fast lens, f/4-5.6. But it is a AF-S which is what you need for the D3000. With the D3000 you have to have a lens that has the focus drive built in the lens. The D3000 body does not have a lens focus drive built in it so you have to use lenses that do. If you are looking at other lens manufactures, be sure they have a built in focus drive that is compatible with D3000 or you will windup having to manual focus. My best advice is to go with the Nikkor 55-200mm, f/4-5.6G. You may pay a little more but you know it will auto focus with your camera.