Torn between D5300 & D7100.

DMcL

Hello,

I am selling my D3300 and looking to upgrade. I can justify spending the extra if it is worth it. I mainly enjoy shooting landscapes but would like to improve my portrait shots too. I enjoy post-processing and shoot in RAW to aid results. I have started taking a lot of shots with my tripod. I print photos and put the odd one on canvas. I would like improve the crispness of my images and generally become a better photographer.

I like the flip out screen of the 5300, the extra card slot of the 7100. I know the 7100 has more focus points, would this aid me in achieving clearer images or when would this be an advantage?
I am hoping to make a final decision next week so really appreciate any feedback etc.

Thanks in advance.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Get into a store and put YOUR hands on both models. This should be able to convince YOU of the one YOU want.
As far as Image Quality, both have the same sensor and produce roughly equal quality pictures. The D7100 has several advantages over the 5300: use of older D lenses, dual control wheels, better auto-focus, dual SD cards and probably higher resale value as well.
It's all a question of value for dollar for YOU. Try to be aware of difference between your "wants" and your "needs".

Last edited:

Moab Man

I would do the D7100 due to lens options. Specifically because of what you want out of a picture - crispness. That is going to come from great glass far more than body. From time to time people find great older glass for cheap.