Nikon D5300 or D7000?

toonplus2

I am looking to upgrade from my D3100 and have been looking at the D5300 and D7000, But I am not sure which way to go?

D5300 has a higher resolution but...

Any advice?

Thanks

weebee

weebee

With all the features on these cameras it is pretty easy to get them missed up. I would go with either the 7000 or 7100. The 7100 if they are still going refurbed for 700.00

rocketman122

Only 2 things that are at a minus with the d5300 is no front command dial for quick adjustments on the fly. It may not matter to you since you might shoot in s or p mode and the other is no built in motor which most likely wont be an issue since youll have one of the newer kit lenses at the least

but it has the swivel screen and higher mp which is a gen ahead of the d7000. Video is better as well.

hrstrat57

Neither, D7100 best choice. Excellent 24mp sensor, prosumer level controls and menus (2 control wheels) and most importantly the ability to use Nikon AF D glass which greatly expands your ability to build your kit with professional level glass at a budget price.

Really at the going prices it is your only choice IMHO!

Horoscope Fish

If I was buying:

1) D7100
2) D5300
3) D7000
Agreed... ^^^

I shot with, and still have, a D7100 and my girlfriend shoots with a D5300. Image quality is indistinguishable between the two but if you're in this price-range, I'd tell you to skip the D7000 and get the D7100. The D5300 would be right behind it, though. My girlfriend shoots with one and has for a while now. It's a real "wolf in sheeps" clothing and in my opinion hits the price/performance "sweet spot". The main difference is features; the D7100 has a lot of nice stuff like the built-focus motor, the weather sealing and the sturdier magnesium-alloy build. It also has a lot more external controls that will save you doing a lot of menu-diving, the dual-command wheels and the top-mounted LCD. The D5300 is smaller and lighter, though, if those are options that matter to you (they sure do to my girlfriend).

rocketman122

Neither, D7100 best choice. Excellent 24mp sensor, prosumer level controls and menus (2 control wheels) and most importantly the ability to use Nikon AF D glass which greatly expands your ability to build your kit with professional level glass at a budget price.

Really at the going prices it is your only choice IMHO!

when you recommend something to a person, do it from his POV and from his wallets POV. you and me might know the D7100 has better controls and a built in motor, but the difference between the D7100 and D5300 is $300. a person might have scraped just enough to get only the D5300 or the D7000 and youre telling him add more when he might not have 1 cent more. always recommend what they need, not what you need.

for the price of a new D7100, id tell him go for a used D700 over the D7100. superior in every way. but since he asked between D5300 or D7000 I will recommend he D5300.

hrstrat57

when you recommend something to a person, do it from his POV and from his wallets POV. you and me might know the D7100 has better controls and a built in motor, but the difference between the D7100 and D5300 is $300. a person might have scraped just enough to get only the D5300 or the D7000 and youre telling him add more when he might not have 1 cent more. always recommend what they need, not what you need.

for the price of a new D7100, id tell him go for a used D700 over the D7100. superior in every way. but since he asked between D5300 or D7000 I will recommend he D5300.

OP has a D3200 which is a fine pc of kit....is a D5300 a huge upgrade? I don't think so, it doesn't have the prosumer features I mentioned. Slight upgrade, sure it is a nice camera I would love to have one.

I should have responded in my first post wait until you can afford at least a D7100 which is a much better camera. To repeat the D7100 also allows again the purchase of AF D glass (D7000 does this too as do D300, D300s) allowing the OP to acquire pro level glass down the road for cheap money.

Agree on the D700 - I passed up multiple D7100 deals to go that route....but I have zero interest in video. The D700 isn't for everyone.

Bottom line is we are all just trying to guess what the OP wants and needs.

Perhaps in the future I will just shut up.

hrstrat57

Oh and to specifically answer the OP direct question I would by a D7000 all day over the D5300 for the creative control afforded by the extra control wheel.

I rejected both the D7000 and the D7100 (and the D610) when I moved to Nikon after 30 yrs of A mount. I wanted the Nikon pro level controls vs. prosumer controls and the top Nikon AF system thus the combo D300/D700. I strongly considered a D610/D7100 combo but decided I preferred the more intuitive for me D300/D700 layout. I rejected the D800 - no interest in 36mp. I will eventually add a D3s to my bag sooner rather than later as I sell off more kit from A mount.

Since my opinion of what to buy is therefore way off the mark based on what I did in building my kit I will refrain from participating in these "what should I do" threads in the future.

You all carry on, I will enjoy lurking.

co2jae

Congrats and enjoy! I bought my 7000 almost 3 yrs ago as my first DSLR. I had no idea about technology and how quickly newer models came out etc etc.....I have lurked around for years wondering "what if I had waited for this or that piece of equipment". Honestly, 3 years later I freely admit that the 7000 is still more advanced at photography than I am and I absolutely love what it does when I perform at my best.

Michael J.

It can be that my father in law wanna give me his D7000 cos he wanna get a very small point and shoot camera.

I think I will it take cos of weather sealed and if motor and more focus points.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Michael J.

Just saw that my Remote cable is fitting the D7000 . Now I am reading about Grip. A VDO and great User Manual I already got from friends.

Maybe know I can look for lenses without motor.

I am not a need new tech freak just I wanna have weather sealed and AF Motor. I think two three years, if I take it, it will me serve great.

May beloved daughter told me that I should it take cos after the D5100 is hers.