Coolpix P520 Intervalometer

Melbs

Hey,

I am looking for a little clarification on which external intervalometer I could use on my P520. I am aware of the inbuilt one which is great but I am looking for more control.

Firstly can I use a intervalometer with this camera? If so which one?

I came across this post which has some great info but doesn't seem to answer my question (or perhaps it does?) - Time-lapse Intervalometers and Remote Timers: How to Choose the Right One - Learn Timelapse Learn Timelapse

I can see the various models and which camera's they work with but I am unable to identify what connection I would need?

Would I be right in assuming the connection for my camera is A/V? Comparing it to the pictures of the intervalometer I can't figure if they are the same or not.

It would be great to be pointed in the right direction :)

Thanks
Liam

WayneF

An external interval timer will require a remote shutter cable connection (to work the shutter). This is why there are many timer interface types, because there are several connectors used for such shutter cables. Various Nikon DSLR use at least three different type connectors.

I'm not familiar with the P520, but its manual does not show that it has any connection for a remote shutter release cable. That would seem to rule out any external shutter release gadget. It already has an interval timer in the camera, maybe only with 1/2 or 1 or 5 or 10 minutes, but that ought to be generally useable.

Melbs

Hi Wayne,

Thank you very much for the clear explanation of the different connectors. I thought this might be the case with no prior experience I was unsure.

Cool, I did think as much but that's not the worst case. I can still do some timelapse. Yeah there are, 30 seconds, 1 min, 10 min. The 30 second preset works quite well but I was hoping for 2. Not to worry and its always great to find out what limitations my camera has early on. It will just make it more fun!

Cheers
Liam :)

WayneF

Well, if by 2, you mean you want 60 second intervals, I guess you could use 30 seconds for a double count, and then just discard every other image file. :)

But seems we're often seeking a slow motion effect, recording at maybe 2 per minute, and then playing it back at maybe 10 frames per second. Recording two 30s instead of one 60s would just make that better.

Here is one, time lapse over 48 hours. I don't recall precise numbers but it was 20 or 30 second intervals, and played back at about 10 frames per second. There are two flashes on the background, which is morning sunlight twice, through a high window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5SQZYOy1Ws

Last edited:

Melbs

Awesome Wayne thanks. I had shot a little before and when it was playing it back at 25fps it was looking a little fast and horrible to be honest. I was taking shots at 30 seconds. I just took some photo's into After Effects and set the comp to 15fps and it looks so much better.

The reason I was asking for 2 was I had read somewhere it was good to shoot certain scenes at this frequency but in actual fact i'll be doing the usual landscape / cityscape stuff so i don't need to be shooting at anything less than 30 seconds. Works out perfectly really as no need to invest in something that won't work and I can put more of it into a tripod!

Cool vid and I can see what you mean :)