Beach huts (again)

Tigertail

Had another look at this in P/S.

Cloned out the object in the foreground, cropped a bit more from the left side to tidy it up and didn't straighten it this time!

I think it looks better, how about you?

Beach huts D40 test.jpg

Vermontster

You have a reason to be proud of this one. You have an eye for composition. And as I said before, I am looking forward to seeing more of your posts!!!

KWJams

Great shot!

If I may use this picture as a learning experience, can someone answer a question I have about the AE-L & AF-L button?

Question: If the focus point was the pebbled beach in the foreground and the AF-L button held down, could a shot like this be then re-composed so the pebbles in the foreground as well as the huts in the background are both in tack sharp focus? Or would that be beyond the capabilities and expecting too much of a DSLR?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Heather, I love the redo. Very nice job! The only thing I would add when a do a shot like this again is get an angle that doesn't put the tops of the buildings smack in the middle --cutting the pic in half is sometimes distracting and takes away from the beauty. Keep up the good work.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Question: If the focus point was the pebbled beach in the foreground and the AF-L button held down, could a shot like this be then re-composed so the pebbles in the foreground as well as the huts in the background are both in tack sharp focus? Or would that be beyond the capabilities and expecting too much of a DSLR?

That's a depth of field issue, Ken. If you focus on the pebbles, and the houses are out of foucus, when you hold the AF-L button and recompose, the pebbles will still be in focus and the houses out of focus. You don't add focus or depth of field. The only way to do that is to use an f-stop of f/22 or 16 (depending on the lens.) Hope I got what you were asking.:)

KWJams

That's a depth of field issue, Ken. If you focus on the pebbles, and the houses are out of focus, when you hold the AF-L button and recompose, the pebbles will still be in focus and the houses out of focus. You don't add focus or depth of field. The only way to do that is to use an f-stop of f/22 or 16 (depending on the lens.) Hope I got what you were asking.:)

Thanks, After I gave it some thought I sort of figured out that it would have to be dependent on an aperture setting. For like you said a depth of field. Looking at magazine cover shots where the foreground is just a sharply focused as the background got me thinking that they must be using the AF-L button.

Tigertail

That's a depth of field issue, Ken. If you focus on the pebbles, and the houses are out of foucus, when you hold the AF-L button and recompose, the pebbles will still be in focus and the houses out of focus. You don't add focus or depth of field. The only way to do that is to use an f-stop of f/22 or 16 (depending on the lens.) Hope I got what you were asking.:)

Helene, would this have been better with a higher f-stop? I used fully manual settings but still have so much to learn! I guess the way to find out is to take several shots at the same time but with various different settings and see how they alter the picture.

H

ohkphoto

Snow White
Helene, would this have been better with a higher f-stop?
Not necessarily, Heather. It depends on the effect you want. The eye is going to go to the focused area first rather than the unfocused. So sometimes you want shallow depth of field. So, just for the sake of experimenting, imagine your same shot, taken at a very large f-stop (the focal length of your lens also has an effect) that puts only some or part of the beach huts in focus. The picture then becomes a little more "mysterious". It's all a matter of experimentation, personal taste and vision. You are to be applauded for using manual! That's the best way to learn!