Nikons new 300, VR problem maybe

J-see

That's interesting, never heard of a VR problem.

I already have one that most likely has a VR problem so I'm used to it. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot with their advertisement. What was it with the 300mm? 4.5 stops?

If I normally would minimally require 1/300s at 300mm with a full frame, that's about 1/15s with VR? Too many will consider VR to be something magical and be very disappointed not every shot is sharp as a needle.

Rick M

I found I'd rarely use VR on long focal lengths anyway. I don't think I ever used it on the 70-200 f4. I did find it handy in the 24-70 or 120 ranges for walk around shooting.

J-see

I found I'd rarely use VR on long focal lengths anyway. I don't think I ever used it on the 70-200 f4. I did find it handy in the 24-70 or 120 ranges for walk around shooting.

I'm not an expert with the long lens and still need plenty of practice but I can get most of my shots in at 600mm down to 1/400s. When slower, I need to burst them to get around the shutter press/slam and shake. It's how I shot my macros at a slower speed with the 200mm. Luckily in the digital age, extra shots don't cost as much as in the past.

The Tam did a good job with the VR at slower speed but it didn't do miracles. Neither will the 300mm.

I'm shooting without VR now, mainly to test if VR is the source of my focus freeze and partly to force myself getting a better technique with the long lens. When many of my slow shots are blur, blur, blur... I somehow feel inclined to do more effort when shooting.