I reconnected with my D800!

TedG954

Since December, I've used my new Sony A7II a lot. Almost exclusively over my Nikons. Some folks may have even thought that I "jumped ship".

Yesterday, I "forced" myself to pack up my D800 along with 2 lenses.....my Nikon 24/1.4 and my 80-400VR. I wanted to take the A7II, but didn't. After a hike around Green Cay, my opinion of the D800 was locked.

What I discovered was that the D800 is a beast and it is considerably heavier. Particularly with that big telephoto attached. Yep. Big and heavy. And a marvelous combo. With the near perfect 24/1.8, the weight is almost tolerable.

The Sony A7II is a fantastic camera and it is truly exceptional with the Zeiss 55/1.8, but it ain't no D800. And never will be. Am I still glad I bought the Sony? Yes, without a doubt I'd do it all over again.

But the Sony can't replace my D800. There's really no comparison. They are two different tools with two different purposes.

The Sony was a new toy and it was getting all of my attention. But after getting to reconnect with my Nikon roots, I believe I'll be able to give them both the proper attention they deserve.

Krs_2007

I had to put my 600 in the shop recently and borrowed a 800 from a friend. And from my short experience with it, I told my wife that I want one now. It really is very versatile with the crop options it offers. It just seemed like a good all around camera. I also noticed some other subtle differences with it that really hooked me.

Scott Murray

I love my D800E and infact find that I hardly use my D600. But I do love my D600 too but that is left at the side most of the time.

Whiskeyman

I really thought about buying a used D800 last week, but figured that I need to pay off some items before jumping back into a purchase. Maybe they'll drop the price a bit more by the time I'm ready.

Then again, I'm really intrigued by the D750...

WM