Raw software question

DCB

What are you all using to work on the D700's raw files?

Maybe one that is good for high ISO grain?

I have Light Room now...a rookie for sure.

Thanks

Peace

Vixen

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) :D & Photoshop :D but Lightroom is very good. If you search around youtube you will find lots of very good tutorials in using it. Lynda.com also has great tutorials ;)

hrstrat57

I am only using Nikon capture NX-D at the moment.

Real simple and easy to use, emulates the D700/D300 camera JPEG setting such as "vivid" etc....

I like it a lot and it is free which I like the best.....

I have posted dozens of examples on the forum in the various telephoto threads and surfing thread and a basketball thread, maybe a few other places. Not pro results for sure but I am pretty happy. Once I get more into landscapes and the like vs family pics and action shots I will probably need more processing power......maybe not.

480sparky

Check for updates. But I'd think even an OLD version should be set for D700 files.

Another thought... is the image locked?

What about editing a JPEG?

DCB

Yes from the Nikon page.

It only gives me limited things I can do to a pic.

It is free from them so I'm not sure what's going on.

Peace

J-see

Can't do picture control, white balance, exposure comp.

Peace

WB should be adjustable in RAW but exposure compensation would be of little use since you can adjust exposure itself. The picture controls have been an option in View but you'd have to load something but again, there's little use in it since you can adjust all values separate.

Everything like sharpness, contrast, saturation... etc has their own slider.

This is what I can adjust in ViewNX. It should be at least as much in NX-D. Don't pay attention to the language difference. I uninstalled NX-D so can't show you that one.

nx.jpg

Last edited:

aroy

Here are screen shots. I have three monitors and NX-D is spread across two. One for the Image and the other for the tools. The first two images are of individual tools pieced in PAint, the third one is a screen shot of all the three at one go

Capture-NXD-1.jpg

Capture-NXD-2.jpg

I have the Histogram on a large window.

Capture-NXD-3.jpg

Certain functions are not applicable to jpeg files and they are greyed out. In my case with D3300 all the functions are available

480sparky

Can't do picture control, white balance, exposure comp.

Peace

Are you sure it's a .NEF file? Those functions usually aren't permitted on .JPEGs.

Put a card in your camera, take a shot to create a new .NEF, and import the image directly into CNX-D. Then let us know what is permitted.

hrstrat57

Here are screen shots. I have three monitors and NX-D is spread across two. One for the Image and the other for the tools. The first two images are of individual tools pieced in PAint, the third one is a screen shot of all the three at one go

View attachment 140128

View attachment 140129

I have the Histogram on a large window.

View attachment 140132

Certain functions are not applicable to jpeg files and they are greyed out. In my case with D3300 all the functions are available

Great workflow @aroy !!

J-see

im a die-hard darktable fan for all raw processing

I'm pure RawTherapee at the moment but now I got a Mac, I should try DT. They did not fancy windows so I could not even try before.

I did DL it, pretty small file compared to LR but no D750 support and no Tam.

Last edited: