Newbie here... who has just dropped her D3200 and cracked the casing *Cries*

MalGib

Hi Guys, I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction here...

I'm in need of help!!

My D3200 has had a bit of a fight with some tarmac and lost... Big time :eek:(

The body has an almost 3" crack in it, see below pic... it bounced across a car park and when I say bounced, I mean it reallllly bounced.

Amazingly it's still working and its working well with the 18-55mm lens on BUT when I use my 70-300mm lens, the weight of the lens is putting pressure on the crack and making it wider, the pics come out milky, so I'm guessing there's a whole load of light getting in there.

Any idea if I would be able to get a replacement case, or front half of a case or even if its repairable?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated :eek:) IMAG2590.jpg

weebee

Ouch! That sucks. These cameras are pretty complex and the labor to replace it is probably going to cost so near the cost of the camera that it probably won't be worth it. Check with Nikon. If the price is too much I bet you could run a bead of epoxy or super glue in the crack to repair it yourself. Then, just get one of those rubber camera skins to cover the repair.

easyCover EA-ECND3200B Silicon Case for Nikon D3200 Cameras, Black EA-ECND3200B

Last edited:

MalGib

Hi Guys,

Well, I'm new... not to the world, just to digital photography. Bought myself a D3200 last April, didn't have a clue how to use it, so I enrolled at college on a photography course and was hooked from day one... My 'Kon' as it's fondly called has been an amazing camera to get me from 'point and shoot' to something a bit more technical and I love it... but I have a massive problem!!

I'm in need of help!!

My 'Kon' has had a bit of a fight with some tarmac and lost... Big time :eek:(

The body has an almost 3" crack in it, see below pic... it bounced across a car park and when I say bounced, I mean it reallllly bounced.

Amazingly it's still working and its working well with the 18-55mm lens on BUT when I use my 70-300mm lens, the weight of the lens is putting pressure on the crack and making it wider, the pics come out milky, so I'm guessing there's a whole load of light getting in there.

Any idea if I would be able to get a replacement case, or front half of a case or even if its repairable?

IMAG2590.jpg

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum

My thoughts are it could easy cost more to repair than replace but worth checking,if this is the case and its working i would just glue it together.

carguy

Welcome :)

I'd sent it directly to Nikon for repair. This is not a DIY project. There may be more issues that what is visible.
I agree - ouch. Depending on how much it costs, it may be cheaper to just replace the body :(

New D3200 bodies seem to be going for about $280.

MalGib

Cheers guys... I've tried super glue, it wont stick. I know it's not the most expensive camera in the world but it's my first.. and I'm attached :D

AC016

Obviously the integrity of the mount has been compromised. Sure, you could try to super glue it, but how would you make the two parts meet to make a tight fit? You could make it work, but how long will the repair last? As you say, the camera still works, but that crack will only get bigger. Give Nikon a ring and see what they say. In the end, if the repair costs more then what the camera is worth (a couple of hundred dollars), then forget it. Either try to repair it yourself or live without the camera.

In addition, one reason why you may not want to put super glue on that crack is, what if the glue leaks into the camera onto moving parts? Not good.

Last edited:

weebee

That's why I was thinking about epoxy. Or the JB weld stuff. Then sand it smooth and put the rubber cover on I recommended.

Horoscope Fish

That's why I was thinking about epoxy. Or the JB weld stuff. Then sand it smooth and put the rubber cover on I recommended.
Agreed... ^^^

I'd use Gorilla Glue epoxy, or something like it, that comes in a syringe-type applicator or "needle nose" bottle so you can sort of inject the adhesive into the crack. Most likely this will NOT look pretty but it will hold things together. Assuming that particular repair could even be done, which I rather doubt, cost of replacement would definitely exceed cost of replacement.

YOT

Homeowners insurance claim, pronto. They replace it with a better one.

Edit to add: Super glue will give off fumes that will haze the important parts. I wouldn't risk that.

Last edited:

jay_dean

Depends which country you live in. There's a bloke near me who fixes all sorts of camera related stuff, broken lenses are a common fix for him. If you're British based i could pass you his details