MH-25(a) battery charger for EN-EL15

Jon Rowlison

I'll have to go back and see if there's a forum specifically for batteries... I know this isn't unique to the D750, but that's that camera I use it with.

Why is it so hard to find a standard MH-25a charger for a "Europlug" or Schuko outlet? We have a trip coming up and I can find all kinds of converters and what-not, but I'd like to just get a single unit that plugs directly into an outlet like the one they ship in the US box version. I have yet to find a direct-plug charger for Europe, but maybe I'm just googling, ebaying, and "amazoning" the wrong search terms.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Last time I was in France, my charger worked as is with just a very simple adapter with 2 round prongs going in and a female standard American plug on the other side. You can get these adapters in kit in places that sell luggage or travel paraphernalia.

WayneF

This won't help you Jon but what is the difference between a MH-25 and a MH-25(a)?

All this means "I don't know". But they both charge the same EN-EL15 battery.

In the past, similar A revisions by Nikon have been when switching to a different type of PVC cable covering, to comply with California environmental laws.

Jon Rowlison

This won't help you Jon but what is the difference between a MH-25 and a MH-25(a)?
Near as I can tell (is that a real phrase?) the 25a has a power cord while the 25 has the plug attached directly to the back of the unit. I'd be happy with either, but I'd like to get one where the plug or cord comes directly into to a europlug (the two small tube connections.)

WayneF

Near as I can tell (is that a real phrase?) the 25a has a power cord while the 25 has the plug attached directly to the back of the unit. I'd be happy with either, but I'd like to get one where the plug or cord comes directly into to a europlug (the two small tube connections.)

No, the MH-25 comes with a power cord. The wall adapter plugin is actually the extra, but it also comes with the unit. There probably are European version adapters sold in Europe.

See www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=mh-25+charger

yauman

I'll have to go back and see if there's a forum specifically for batteries... I know this isn't unique to the D750, but that's that camera I use it with.

Why is it so hard to find a standard MH-25a charger for a "Europlug" or Schuko outlet? We have a trip coming up and I can find all kinds of converters and what-not, but I'd like to just get a single unit that plugs directly into an outlet like the one they ship in the US box version. I have yet to find a direct-plug charger for Europe, but maybe I'm just googling, ebaying, and "amazoning" the wrong search terms.

Just curious - are you moving to Europe rather than just visiting? Why a Europlug version? Are you going to just one country? UK have a different plug than France than Sweden etc. As a tourist, I would think a travel kit with adapters would be far more efficient. Also, if you are staying in hotels, most hotels have the US outlets in the bathroom for shavers and dryers - I usually use that to charge my batteries and other appliances.

I don't know if you know that a transformer/converter is no longer necessary so all you need is just very small lightweight adapter plugs. Since 2000, all non-motorized electrical appliance with with voltages of 90-250 and 50hz or 60hz - that includes your charger. Hotels provide the 110 US outlets in bathrooms so you can use your motorized appliances shavers and dryers.

Nikon Photographer

Much easier to buy a U.S to European travel adapter, the chargers are multi voltage now, the only time I don't need to use one is when using my P7100 in Europe, as it came with a twin plug european charger and not the usual U.K one

Jon Rowlison

Are you moving to Europe rather than just visiting? Why a Europlug? UK?
I'm not moving to Europe... just some travel. I have some converters already and I'm aware of the bathroom plugs and the 110/220 & 50/60hz issues... I just wanted a schuko plug specifically for my camera battery charger as I know it's a constant that we use there when traveling. I have a travel kit as well that includes a shuko, UK, and Australian plug. I was just going to eliminate one item that would be constantly taking up one of my adapters since I knew I'd be using it. I'll save the bathroom outlets for the shaver and whatever else. :)

larry_it

Hi,
pheraps it's just a coincidence, but I bought a pair of compatible EN-EL15 Phottix Titan batteries and they didn't fully charge with my MH25a...
The seller told me that other buyers didn't have same issues, but he did'nt know the model of charger they had. I would be curious to check if they are correctly charged with a MH-25 :confused:...luckily it's not a problem for me, because he's been kind and accepted a give back.

Tore

I believe that the neat little plug is available only for US sockets. This plug goes into a standard 2-prong non-ground connector in the charger. When using the charger outside USA, you just remove the little plug and insert a power cable for the region you are visiting that features the same plug at one end, and the regional outlet plug at the other. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to determine the correct US name for 2-prong connector. In Norway the connector is often called "number 8" as the end of the socket is shaped like the number 8. The "number 8" power-cables are used for electrical devices that do not require much power. Some printers and chargers use them.

71sAo5SQ3LL._SL1500_.jpg