Viewfinder trouble

jakewest35

I received my d3300 in the mail today and after completing the initial setup I realized that the viewfinder was out of focus. I tried adjusting the diopter and, although it did adjust the viewfinder, it was still out of focus. Is it supposed to be this way, or is it supposed to be in focus like the live view???

fotojack

Put your camera on a stable platform, such as a tripod. With the lens of your choice mounted, focus on a subject. Then use the diopter to adjust the viewfinder. You should then be good to go.

WayneF

Maybe it should be said that the diopter viewfinder adjustment does NOT focus the lens image. It focuses on the lines in the viewfinder screen itself. Lens focus does not matter for that, it could be aimed at blue sky. But then the image is projected onto that screen, and to have the screen in focus is an aid then.

Eyelight

The diopter adjustment focuses on the display. Ignore the image and use the diopter adjustment to focus on the viewfinder info like shutter and aperture.

aroy

The image will be out of focus in the view finder if you do not have perfect eyesight. The first thing you must check is the sharpness of the data displayed in the view finder. Till that is sharp, the image cast by lens will be fuzzy.

If you wear glasses then remember that the diopter adjustment is only 1 diopter, beyond that you have to change the eyepiece lense with a fixed diopter lens available in 1 diopter increment.

weebee

Sorry for the dusty image! Notice the dial right behind the viewfinder rubber eye cup? That is where you adjust the focus to meet your eye sight requirements. Turn it clock or counter clock wise until you see through the view finder clearly. It works great. I don't need to wear my glasses when I take pictures.

DSC00195.jpg

Danno

I fought this with my D3200. It was my vision... not the camera. I bought a magnifying eye price. A Nikon accessary. Made all the difference.

Danno
D3200
Nikkor AF-S 50 mm1.8 G
Sigma 18-250 Macro