new to photography Nikon D5200 ideal settings

nickt

Every setting is ideal if you find the right conditions. Kind of like a broken clock is right twice a day. Sorry, I don't mean to give you a hard time on your first visit. There are no 'ideal' settings, especially if you don't give a situation. Even then, its hard to say. The reason we choose a dlsr is so we can control the camera and find the ideal settings for a given situation. That situation might be noon day sun or black of night or anywhere in between. We might want to freeze motion or we may want to show motion blur. We might want everything behind the subject blurry or we may want everything sharp. So you really need to learn about exposure and find those settings for yourself. Once you learn the basics of exposure, you will likely spend most of your time in aperture or shutter priority mode.

I like this for beginners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8T94sdiNjc

I'm sure others will post their favorite learning sites too.

paul04

Good advice from nickt,

That's the good thing with a DSLR experimenting with the settings, during the day, if I'm just walking with the camera, iso 100 and shutter speed 200 or 250, camera set on manual, with the 50mm F1.8, and the same settings with the 18-105mm.

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,the great thing about digital is now you have the gear the learning is free,once you have a basic understanding of the reasons to choose a particular shutter speed or aperture it will start to make sense to you.