Newbie Commercial Photo Shoot - Advice Requested Please!

Kevin67

Hi Guys, Thanks for dropping by to read me.

At it's most basic, I'm a reasonably experienced beginner with tens of thousands of AUTO shots and now having just got out of AUTO mode for a few thousand - and I'm getting some pretty good shots and confidence.

I have a chance for some Commercial Photography; I will be photographing potential customers and suppliers at a bespoke furniture showroom. Because of my inexperience I am doing this free.

I know how to shoot portraits, but inexperienced, and very experienced in close up product photography.

The owner does not know how to direct me in terms of the shots he wants: he just wants the event recording.

I will be aware that some people will not want to be photographed and I will watch out for body language etc.

My main question is for ideas of composting shots: I'm thinking of:

- Photos of suppliers and owner with their respective products
- Photos of customers smiling (admiring?) the products they are looking at
- Photos to capture the general ambiance of the showroom
-Close up photos to show detail in some products

Any others, or tips for me, please?

The event is this Thursday evening (5/2) so I will be able to read suggestions up to lunch time on Thursday.

Many thanks!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Kevin, I don't know what the location is going to be like, but my advice would be to be extra careful about choosing your angle of shots. Try to be aware of the backgrounds in order to avoid distracting objects or lights, do a few tests for color balance and exposure, use a flash with any kind of diffuser for small group shots or darn well make certain the light is good for faces. Check your point of view, take as many pics as you can and be prepared to do a lot of post processing to crop, darken or blur distracting background and you should be fine.

Great opportunity to gain experience and confidence. Have fun, smile to make your subjects smile as well, talk to them as much as possible so you see they are looking at the lens with some kind of rapport.