Automatic sharpening in Photoshop?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
While watching one of the free videos on Lynda.com, she is talks about working in Bridge before sending a file to Photoshop. In this video, when discussing output sharpening, she says not to add any sharpening in Bridge if the file is going to Photoshop because PS automatically sharpens the edges (1:53 is where the discussion of output sharpening starts). Is this true?

Choosing output settings from the Course Photoshop CC Essential Training

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
She was specifically referencing not checking the output sharpening box in Bridge IF the file is going to Photoshop because PS will automatically sharpen.

Horoscope Fish

She was specifically referencing not checking the output sharpening box in Bridge IF the file is going to Photoshop because PS will automatically sharpen.
I don't think PS automatically sharpens but... There is that link at the bottom of the page when a RAW file gets passed to Adobe Camera RAW that does output sharpening before opening the file in PS, if the box is checked "On".

I wonder if this is what she is referring to?
Bridge.jpg

EDIT: I also found this menu in Bridge, under Edit/Camera RAW Preferences. Still, we're talking about ACR, here, not Photoshop itself doing some kind of Auto Sharpening upon import. That PS would do that just doesn't make sense to me, frankly. I mean, I'm open to being proven wrong but that really sounds off to me and if it *is* going on, I want to know about it.
Bridge II.jpg

Last edited:

wornish

Never noticed this before as I don't look at the other tabs when opening a raw file.

If you are opening a raw (NEF) file in PS and look at the sharpening tab then the default is to apply sharpening at 25 as it loads into PS.
I guess thats when it is converted to a PSD file .

Raw open.jpg

it seems you can also select custom settings.

Horoscope Fish

Never noticed this before as I don't look at the other tabs when opening a raw file.

If you are opening a raw (NEF) file in PS and look at the sharpening tab then the default is to apply sharpening at 25 as it loads into PS.
I guess that's when it is converted to a PSD file.

View attachment 137216

it seems you can also select custom settings.
Just so we're clear, that isn't Photoshop; that's Adobe Camera RAW applying sharpening before exporting to Photoshop. I think that's an important distinction to make.

Further, you can bypass ACR, if you went, when opening a RAW file (it's an option the Preferences for Photoshop) but again... That's not Photoshop applying Sharpening, and I don't think Photoshop does apply sharpening automatically. Adobe Camera RAW does, Photoshop (to my knowledge) does not.

WayneF

Further, you can bypass ACR, if you went, when opening a RAW file (it's an option the Preferences for Photoshop) but again... That's not Photoshop applying Sharpening, and I don't think Photoshop does apply sharpening automatically. Adobe Camera RAW does, Photoshop (to my knowledge) does not.

I think there is no one answer, much of it comes down to semantics. Most questions ought to be more specific. :)

If you "open" a raw file in Photoshop, it opens the same ACR first, before it sends it to Photoshop. It will not even send it at all, unless you do specify Open in ACR too.

The OPs thread about the video is about the sharpening in the Output line of ACR, where you also select sRGB and 8 bits, etc.
I think that affects any output method possible. That is not Bridge as said, it is ACR which can be started by Bridge.

The ACR tool bar also offers a default sharpening, as part of processing... I assume both are done if both are selected.

Photoshop does do default sharpening in its Resample box, like when you select Bicubic Sharper there, which preference can be set in the Edit - Preferences - General menu. Bicubic Sharper is a good thing for resampling.

Eyelight

I take the comments in the video to mean, if doing more work on the file in Photoshop, wait and apply the sharpening when you output from Photoshop, and not that PS will apply anything automatically. The video is a bit unclear, with this ongoing run on sentence/paragraph.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I don't think PS automatically sharpens but... There is that link at the bottom of the page when a RAW file gets passed to Adobe Camera RAW that does output sharpening before opening the file in PS, if the box is checked "On".

I wonder if this is what she is referring to?
View attachment 137208

She showed that box and said not to check it if taking the file into Photoshop because PS will sharpen it anyway. It just doesn't make sense. :eyetwitch: Maybe I will send them an email and ask.

Horoscope Fish

She showed that box and said not to check it if taking the file into Photoshop because PS will sharpen it anyway. It just doesn't make sense. :eyetwitch: Maybe I will send them an email and ask.
It doesn't make sense to me either... I'm thinking when she said, "Photoshop" what she meant was Adobe Camera RAW.

If you do email them, and I think you should, please let us know what they say in response. I'm curious now myself.

wornish

Just so we're clear, that isn't Photoshop; that's Adobe Camera RAW applying sharpening before exporting to Photoshop. I think that's an important distinction to make.

Thanks.
Just had a look at PS preferences where do you bypass ACR ?

Horoscope Fish

Thanks.
Just had a look at PS preferences where do you bypass ACR ?
Took me a minute to jar this loose from my brain... It's not a setting, it's a keyboard shortcut.

From Bridge, press-and-hold the Shift key and double-click on the image. You'll get a little popup. Answer "Yes", or "OK" or whatever, and you'll bypass Camera RAW.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Sent a message--states questions are answered within two business days which possibly means by Monday. Will let you know. ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
This is the reply I received from Lynda.com. Unfortunately it doesn't offer any helpful information. :( My question was specifically geared towards the content of the video, and even though they state the support is limited to answering questions about web site functionality and content of the videos, they don't answer the content question. Oh well.

Thank you for your contacting lynda.com.

The lynda.com library is designed to be a self-learning tool used at your own pace. We do not have educators on site to answer specific questions about the software programs or to assist members with their learning.

Our lynda.com support staff is limited to answering questions about the functionality of our web site and the content of the videos.

In addition to our training library, we encourage you to search the Internet, forums, and blogs for more information regarding this program. If you have technical questions about software, please contact the publisher of that software directly.

Best regards,
Adrian
lynda.com
Technical Support Team
888-335-9632