View nx2..

robinchun

Excuse my ignorance,new to nx2 and (RAW), if I click on the RAW box at top left of screen it changes colour and and some coloured dots flash..what's happening and what does it do I can't seem to see any immediate difference

Robin

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there.

What I believe is going on - and I stand to be corrected - is that when you first view the images in View NX2, you are seeing the embedded jpeg file (and not the RAW file) as it makes it quicker for previewing images (same thing I believe that happens when reviewing the image in camera on the LCD screen). Clicking the RAW button, converts the preview image to the actual RAW file. I don't believe you'll see a huge difference unless you've applied a significantly differenct in camera picture control.

Bottom line for me: I almost never use that button as I haven't found any utility in doing so.

Again, I'm far from an expert in Nikon software so I don't mean to imply what I've said is gospel! :)

Doddery

The reason you have those flashing colours is that View is showing you lost highlights and shadows, that means there is no detail in those colours or a bad exposure.
To turn off that flashing go to Image and go down to highlights and then shadows and turn them off

bluenoser

Banned
The reason you have those flashing colours is that View is showing you lost highlights and shadows, that means there is no detail in those colours or a bad exposure.
To turn off that flashing go to Image and go down to highlights and then shadows and turn them off

Actually, no that is not the reason he has those *particular* flashing dots he refers to in his post- you get the dots he described when you click on the RAW button in View NX2 (a flashing bar of dots appears).

The 2 different views you described in NX2 (lost shadows and lost hightlights) don't flash when those options are checked off (at least they don't with my version). However within the camera itself during image review, the highlights screen will show the overexposed highlights as indicated by the flashing areas or what I refer to as the "blinkies".

Doddery

James

Just because your version does not show the lost highlights and shadows is that you have a different verion of View NX. It is the settings on Robin's version that is switched on.

For your information, View NX uses the same algothrims as the camera to show the lost highlights but will show the lost shadows as well. That is how we at Nikon wanted it to happen but for some unknown reason this feature was lost in the latest versions.

bluenoser

Banned
Excuse my ignorance,new to nx2 and (RAW), if I click on the RAW box at top left of screen it changes colour and and some coloured dots flash..what's happening and what does it do I can't seem to see any immediate difference

Robin

No, that is not the reason. Your reply - while somewhat informative - does not answer the OP's question. As I stated in an earlier post, the OP is referring to the RAW button located at the top left hand corner of the VIEW NX2 screen. What you've described is the blown highlights/shadow indicator which is something entirely different and not relevant to the OP's question.

The 2 different views you described in NX2 (lost shadows and lost highlights) don't flash when those options are checked off (at least they don't with my version). However within the camera itself during image review, the highlights screen will show the overexposed highlights as indicated by the flashing areas or what I refer to as the "blinkies".

Just because your version does not show the lost highlights and shadows is that you have a different verion of View NX.
I understand all of that. If you read my post carefully, I clearly indicated that I was referring to my version of the software (which is version 2.1.2 - the OP may have an earlier version but it really doesn't matter with regard to his question).

It is the settings on Robin's version that is switched on.

They may or may not be switched on but once again, that is not what he is talking about.

For your information, View NX uses the same algothrims as the camera to show the lost highlights but will show the lost shadows as well. That is how we at Nikon wanted it to happen but for some unknown reason this feature was lost in the latest versions.

Thank you. It is quite odd that Nikon has left it off the updated version. To be frank, software has always been a weak point with Nikon and it continues to be so.

Having said all of this, you still have not replied to the OP's question. As you referred to yourself as being part of "we at Nikon" (i.e. you have more knowledge of the software than most) - I would be very interested in your comments as to the actual question being asked.

Thank you.

Last edited: