Question about D750 recall and if i should even bother.

Jaysmark

I have an earlier model of the D750 that has a serial number suggested for recall. For the life of me I cant find a flare issue. Is this specific to video? On live view, shooting video, I just don't see it. It certainly hasn't affected any shots I have taken. I guess my question is do I send it in? Are all of the cameras under the first wave really affected or is it only a percentage? There is no black dot as well. Thanks.

Scott Murray

I have an earlier model of the D750 that has a serial number suggested for recall. For the life of me I cant find a flare issue. Is this specific to video? On live view, shooting video, I just don't see it. It certainly hasn't affected any shots I have taken. I guess my question is do I send it in? Are all of the cameras under the first wave really affected or is it only a percentage? There is no black dot as well. Thanks.
If its not broken why fix it?

Horoscope Fish

I'm in the same boat as you... A new D750 but so far I've yet to see the issue appear except once when I was reeeeally trying to make it happen and it required a flashlight and a lot of patience.

Since then, I've done a lot of shooting anf not once has the issue shown itself, even when I've tried to make it happen. I printed out the forms and a shipping label but they're sitting in a folder in my desk at work. Meanwhile, I was out earlier today and shooting with my D750 continues to be nothing but a joy. I have to agree with [MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION]...

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Jaysmark

The only reason I could think of would be resale value. If I sell it in a few years it might be a sticking point. I will probably send it in when I get some down time just for peace of mind. Thanks. Anybody know how long the recall process is taking Nikon? 2 weeks? More?

jr19

I sent mine in just for the resale value aspect. Plus I read the an article that showed two different D750s...one that showed the AF module sitting up higher and the other with the AF module sitting down lower. The one that sat up higher seemed to have a bigger problem with front focusing. I figured I might as well have them calibrate everything and get my AF module sitting in the right spot.

J-see

The only reason I could think of would be resale value. If I sell it in a few years it might be a sticking point. I will probably send it in when I get some down time just for peace of mind. Thanks. Anybody know how long the recall process is taking Nikon? 2 weeks? More?

Down here it would take about a week if I send mine in. That's an awful long time without my baby. I first need to get over that separation anxiety.

mikew_RIP

Read where some one saying the problem was a mirror box that was too small and Nikon where replacing it with a larger one so the AF module sat lower,his concern was would the larger one have a detrimental effect on the 750s focusing ability/speed.

TieuNgao

I'm in the same boat. My D750 is affected but I'm not hurry to send it in. I rather wait until I know more about how the affected units are fixed.
One important note: Some people say that the affected units tend to front focus. I checked mine and found no focusing problem. So, as far as my shooting is concerned, my D750 does not have any problem.

J-see

I was in my cam shop this morning and we briefly talked about the D750 problem. He said he had a meeting with Nikon here and that if it didn't bother me, I should leave it as is. I didn't have the time to go deeper into it but I got the impression the cure would not necessarily be a blessing.

Next time I see the owner, I'll try to get more info out of him.

Nikdog

If its not broken why fix it?

Because he does not know for 100% sure that the camera will never display the issue, he just may not have encountered a situation where his camera shows it. For peace of mind, and future re-sale assurance. I would send the D750 in anyway to get fixed and re-aligned... in fact I intend to do so this week despite not having experienced the issue myself.

I was in my cam shop this morning and we briefly talked about the D750 problem. He said he had a meeting with Nikon here and that if it didn't bother me, I should leave it as is. I didn't have the time to go deeper into it but I got the impression the cure would not necessarily be a blessing.
Next time I see the owner, I'll try to get more info out of him.

That doesn't really tell us anything... and I doubt the fix has any negative effect.

J-see

That doesn't really tell us anything... and I doubt the fix has any negative effect.

Like I said, it's only a vibe I picked up. I'm going there tomorrow to have my sensor cleaned so I'll try to get more info out of him. He should have his directly from the source.

Nikdog

Like I said, it's only a vibe I picked up. I'm going there tomorrow to have my sensor cleaned so I'll try to get more info out of him. He should have his directly from the source.

it doesn't make any logical sense that the fix would have a negative effect, but sure, let us know what you find out.

J-see

it doesn't make any logical sense that the fix would have a negative effect, but sure, let us know what you find out.

Logically a fix should indeed improve but it depends entirely upon what they fix and how they fix it. If it's a readjustment, all should be normal but if something gets replaced, that could very much compromise something else.

If I know more, I'll mention it here or we might read it in the first "fix" reviews online.

Nikdog

Logically a fix should indeed improve but it depends entirely upon what they fix and how they fix it. If it's a readjustment, all should be normal but if something gets replaced, that could very much compromise something else.

If I know more, I'll mention it here or we might read it in the first "fix" reviews online.

They are simply re-aligning the AF module as the mis-alignment is causing the flare issues, I thought that was pretty well documented?

J-see

They are simply re-aligning the AF module as the mis-alignment is causing the flare issues, I thought that was pretty well documented?

I'll know how good the fix is when the cams come back in and I read about it. At the moment it matters less to me since I never had problems with the flare while shooting. The moment I get my first shots in which the flare makes its presence, I'll be sending mine in too. Until then I wait and read.

Rick M

Having been through the D600 issue I would wait awhile. Research the fixes and see how they perform over at least 6-12 months. At that point I would send it in regardless of whether or not you can duplicate the issue. You deserve the peace of mind and resale value of a "fixed" unit. Nikon was very good to me and I will always sing their praises no matter what I shoot. They replaced my D600 after 2 years of use, even without me being part of the legal action.

Rick M

As a side note, I'm finding that almost every first series bodies from all manufacturers start out with some issue. The first upgrade fixes everything. Even the D800 came out with a problem, yet the D810 is fine, same with the D600/D610. I see the same thing with Olympus and every other manufacturer. Nikon will make it right and the D760 will be perfect :)!

scotchtape

Posted my experience here D750 back from service - now screen broke -- Nikon Cameras in photography-on-the.net forums

First unit came back. Screen decided to not work after 10 minutes of testing. Still showed a bit of banding.
Took back to shop - blamed me for using 3rd party batteries (which I'm very sure is a bunch of BS).
Main board needs to be replaced.

Used 10 Canon cameras over the last 3 years. No problems.

Nikon user for 1 month. Been in possession of cameras about 60% of the time.
Been to shop 3 times now. The unit that went back - literally used for a few hours only.
Hahahahahaha.