I need one amazing protective bag!

Dave Hamilton

I’m looking for a camera bag that will perform a pretty specific function. It must hold a 17.5” laptop, a Nikon D7000 with the kit lens, and an AF-s Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 ED VR II lens. With that said, it must also fit on a plane as a carry on, and I would pray that it is padded enough to protect everything I just mentioned that must fit inside it. The icing on the cake would be if the laptop section had a protective shell.

In a little over a month we are going to Guatemala so if you know of a fantastic case that will fill these needs I’d need to order it now. Considering that it will contain thousands of dollars worth of equipment I’d say that the price is pretty much not important. I’ll pay what I have to pay to protect my equipment.

fotojack

I've said this before, and I'll keep saying it......you can NOT go wrong with Lowepro! I swear by them. The model choice is up to you, of course, but there are so many to choose from that meet your criteria. Lowepro | Home

fotojack

I am hopping to get a Tamrac Aero speed pack 85 for father's day...lol.
Great bag, I would suggest looking at this bag.
Tamrac - Model 3385 - Aero Speed Pack 85 Photo/Laptop Backpack

Nice lookin' bag, Curt, but.........did you notice that it can only hold 2 other lenses and a flash? There's no tripod or monopod carrying feature (it costs extra). There's no weather proof/rain cover for it. It costs more than the Lowepro 202AW Sling bag. Yes, it can carry a laptop, but that's the only feature it really has, in my humble opinion.
My Lowepro 202AW carries my D200 with 55-300 lens mounted, 4 other lenses, a flash, notebook, pens, remote shutter cable, filters, lots of memory card storage areas, batteries, ......I could go on and on. I don't know.......for the money, I'd go for the Lowepro. Oh yeah......it has a lifetime warranty, too. :)

Then again, the OP did specify a laptop compartment, didn't he! lol OK..forget everything I just wrote. :)

Browncoat

Or check this out

Rear laptop slot will hold most laptop computers with a screen up to 17"

I have a friend who owns this very bag (Kata Bumblebee-220) and it's very nice. However, the OP has a 17.5" laptop and the bag fits up to a 17". My friend thought his laptop would squeeze in there, but it doesn't fit. I would highly suggest staying local and visiting your local pro camera shop and bringing your laptop with you to make sure that it will fit in any bag you consider purchasing. With only a month to shop, you don't want to fiddle around with returning items from an online store.

Curt

Nice lookin' bag, Curt, but.........did you notice that it can only hold 2 other lenses and a flash? There's no tripod or monopod carrying feature (it costs extra). There's no weather proof/rain cover for it. It costs more than the Lowepro 202AW Sling bag. Yes, it can carry a laptop, but that's the only feature it really has, in my humble opinion.
My Lowepro 202AW carries my D200 with 55-300 lens mounted, 4 other lenses, a flash, notebook, pens, remote shutter cable, filters, lots of memory card storage areas, batteries, ......I could go on and on. I don't know.......for the money, I'd go for the Lowepro. Oh yeah......it has a lifetime warranty, too. :)

Then again, the OP did specify a laptop compartment, didn't he! lol OK..forget everything I just wrote. :)

Jack, the lowpro looks pretty nice, I may look closer at that bag. I know Dave wanted to carry a laptop, so that is why I suggested the Tamrac. But I did take a look at the Lowpro and it would do the trick for me, I think?
Are you really happy with this bag, and will it hold my D7000 w/grip and 70-300mm lens?

Curt

Jack, I see for a few more dollars you can get the Lowpro Slingshot 302 AW. It has a bit more room for lenses, etc. plus it will hold a laptop.

fotojack

Curt, the 302 will definitely hold your gear. I mentioned the 202 because it's the one I have, but the 302 is a great upgrade for more storage capacity. I'm going to get the 302 myself in a few months. It's made of a tougher material than other bags, and I find it to be more functional than the others. Did you watch the video on the 302? Did you look at all the pictures? Quite the bag, eh! :)

Curt

Jack, yes I did check out the video on the 302AW, It looks like a great bag. I kind of felt I would out grow the 202AW?
But if I get one it will be for Father's Day (Beggers can't be choosy...lol). I guess I will see what I get...lol??

fotojack

Yup, I agree about outgrowing the 202. That's why I want to get the 302. Holds more, better ergonomics, etc etc. I have to wait till about September, though, before I can get it. No work at the race track till it stops raining around here! lol.
Father's Day isn't that far away, bud. You should start dropping hints about now, eh! :) lol Leave pictures of it in strategic areas of the house.......the bathroom, under her pillow, in the kitchen, in her car. ;) lol

Curt

LOL....Yeah I sent her a link to the Lowpro site :). I was over at London Drugs just now looking at the 202AW, they do not handle the 302AW? Not sure where to look...lol?

fotojack

I always found London Drugs to be quite high on a lot of their stuff. I never shop there for anything photography related. If you have a Best Buy or Futureshop near you, you might try that. I like to go to The Camera Store myself for most of my stuff. Hope you find one, bud. :)

Dave Hamilton

So far this search has yielded confusion and disappointment. I live in a city that does not have much choice, and the bags that I have found locally that fit my laptop do not provide much protection. My equipment is much to valuable (at least to me) to put it into any case I've seen so far. I'm actually thinking about investing in a less expensive/smaller laptop to use when on the road. Smaller units usually are also stronger in the middle of the case so the screen is not in danger of cracking. As long as it has a truck load of RAM I should be okay. My current laptop is very fast so I must say I'm pretty spoiled.

Keep the suggestions coming. I wish I had more time. I'd have Glenn at Cronkhite Cases custom make me a case to my specifications. When I did that for my horns he made me a one of a kind bag that was PERFECT.