DILEMA! New Body or better lenses? HELP!

Erin218

I need some really good advice lol. I have a Nikon D60. It has been my first and very beloved DSLR, But I am thinking that I need a change. I need helo deciding whether to upgrade and purchase a new camera body or to upgrade on my lenses and keep the body for a while longer. The lenses I have right now are just the kit lenses: 18-55mm and 55-200mm.

If I decided to upgrade the body, I am thinking either a D200 or a D90. I will probably will buy used no matter which I buy because of financial restraints. But if you think a different camera would suit me better, please suggest it! What I am shooting in mostly people. I love candid portraits and wedding photography, and hope to eventually get a biz going.

If I upgrade lens wise, I'm unsure what to do. The only thing I know for sure is that I would like to get a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens. Totally open to suggestions here too! I am getting better at Manual focus but not fantastic yet.

My MAIN ISSUES with my D60 are:

1. I HATE that it does not have an internal lens. I would love to be able to buy some older and cheaper lenses without having to manual focus all the time.

2. I really do need some more auto focus points. I just get frustrated having only 3.

3. I also think I could use a higher number of megapixels.

Ok, all that being said, I would GREATLY appreciate ALL comments and suggestions! Please and thank you! :)

fotojack

I need some really good advice lol. I have a Nikon D60. It has been my first and very beloved DSLR, But I am thinking that I need a change. I need help deciding whether to upgrade and purchase a new camera body or to upgrade my lenses and keep the body for a while longer. The lenses I have right now are just the kit lenses: 18-55mm and 55-200mm.

If I decided to upgrade the body, I am thinking either a D200 or a D90. I will probably will buy used no matter which I buy because of financial restraints. But if you think a different camera would suit me better, please suggest it! What I am shooting is mostly people. I love candid portraits and wedding photography, and hope to eventually get a biz going.

If I upgrade lens wise, I'm unsure what to do. The only thing I know for sure is that I would like to get a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens. Totally open to suggestions here, too! I am getting better at Manual focus but not fantastic yet.

My MAIN ISSUES with my D60 are:

1. I HATE that it does not have an internal motor I would love to be able to buy some older and cheaper lenses without having to manual focus all the time.

2. I really do need some more auto focus points. I just get frustrated having only 3.

3. I also think I could use a higher number of megapixels.

Ok, all that being said, I would GREATLY appreciate ALL comments and suggestions! Please and thank you! :)

1. I HATE that it does not have an internal motor. I would love to be able to buy some older and cheaper lenses without having to manual focus all the time. *In this case, get the D200. Awesome camera! I speak from experience.*

2. I really do need some more auto focus points. I just get frustrated having only 3. *Again, I'd go with the D200. It has 11 focus points, with an option for 7 built in.*

3. I also think I could use a higher number of megapixels. *No you don't. That's just marketing hype. Mega pixels do not necessarily translate into better photos. 10 MP is more than enough to make great pictures*

4. The lenses I have right now are just the kit lenses: 18-55mm and 55-200mm. *Absolutely nothing wrong with these lenses. Both are very popular and take sharp photos. Best used outdoors with or without a flash, depending on the shot.*

5. If I decided to upgrade the body, I am thinking either a D200 or a D90. *If video is important to you, get the D90. If you want a more professional camera, get the D200. The D200 will most likely be cheaper to buy than a D90, and you'll get higher end features. The D200 body has the built in focus moter, and is made of metal.........very rugged.*

Any more questions.........don't be afraid to ask.

Erin218

Thanks SO much! I could care less about video, if I want that I will get a video camera lol. I want a more professional camera, something that will last me a while and take great photos! Something that will be compatible with a very wide variety of lenses is a must also! Thanks so much for replying, it really helps! :)

Ruidoso Bill

Might I also suggest the D300, the prices are little more that the D200 but prices continue to come down on the used market, you will get more in the way of acceptable higher ISO performance, much better battery life, and several other additional features.

goz63

In most cases I would say upgrade the lenses and not worry about the camera body. BUT...you have some holes in what the D60 can do. That is when you need to get another body. The best advice I can give is to get a good camera body and then spend all the rest of your money on getting GREAT lenses. You have a good start. When you get really good lenses you never have to change them. You will find that over time you will need to upgrade your camera body as you are seeing now. When the camera can't do something you need it to do, then upgrade. When you get really good lenses, you don't have to upgrade them later. Save and get the best you can afford. It will save you money in the long run.
As for camera body's, the D90 is great, the D200 or D300 are also great camera bodies and will serve you well for what you are lacking in the D60.
Good luck in your search. The D90 may become more difficult to get as Nikon just DC'd it this week. Some may try to grab one before they are only on the used market. Sometimes the fun is the hunt.

fotojack

So is the general sensus that I should get an upgraded camera body and stick with my lenses for the time being correct?

In this case, I would say yes. And Bill makes a very good point, too, about the D300. All his points about this model is true.

Erin218

I think I will be on the hunt for a reasonably priced D200 then. The D300 looks fantastic.... but soooo out of my budget lol. Now next, any good suggestions on a good (cheap) prime lens around 1.4-1.8? Nikon? Sigma?

fotojack

hehehe....Curt beat me to it.....again! ;) Yes, the Nikon 50mm 1.8 prime lens is dirt cheap and VERY sharp. Great lens to have in your arsenal of lenses. :) And yes, for the price, absolutely the D200. You will absolutely LOVE it! :) Let me know when you get it. I can send you some really good stuff for it (Program settings). :)

Erin218

Thanks SO MUCH! I think that's going to be my plan! D200 and 50mm 1.8!!! This helped tons! How much does the 50mm run normally? I have found a few different prices!

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Thanks SO MUCH! I think that's going to be my plan! D200 and 50mm 1.8!!! This helped tons! How much does the 50mm run normally? I have found a few different prices!
They're in the $100 to $140 range. Do a Google search. :) Sometimes you can actually pick them up used on Kijiji or Craigslist or EBay. Maybe even where you live. :)

Last edited:

Curt

If I remember I think I paid about $120.00 its a hell of a lens for the money.
You won't be sorry buying this lens :).

goz63

I have to add my vote for a 50mm 1.8. You can pick them up used often for less than $100. I love mine. It is the BEST bargain in the Nikon line up, hands down.

fotojack

I was on Kijiji today, and there's a D200 selling for $485, body only, plus all the cables and software that came with it originally. That's quite a deal!

theregsy

If you have trouble finding a D200 in your price bracket, keep your eyes peeled for its bigger brother the D2x, a stunning camera that still cuts it, mine was about $400 (i think) and unless weight is an issue it is a fantastic camera that produces great results.
Good luck on your new purchase and lens :)

Curt

You won't be sorry with the D200, its a great body, and the great thing is you can pick up a used one for a pretty good price. You may have to look around for a bit, but you should be able to find one.

Last edited by a moderator: