Night shots ,help !!!

Starting from the days of my photography , i was always always dependent on the day light for my photos , you could hardly find any flash or any other artificial lights used for my photography . But of lately i'm becoming quite interested in capturing the night life ,
Now also , i don't wanna fire a huge flash in the crowd , so that the people here gonna crash me nd my cam , nor im finding it easy to shoot at nights .
Also another Question , recently was shooting for the migratory birds ( photos coming up soon ;) ) but i had a really hard time adjusting the tracking mode , as it requires fast focusing my cam was on autofocus mode , alas i had to switch to manual mode for which i got less desired photos . :(

Please Please members , help me with the adjusting of tracking mode , Focus points and all :)

P.S- i use the d90 kit lens , Nikkor AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
and Nikkor AF-S 70-300 VR ED

Joseph Bautsch

Neither the 70-300mm or the 18-105mm will work very well for night shooting. They don't have a small enough f/stop to get good shots. You should be using at least a f/2.8 or less. Either the 35mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.8 lens will do the job and are not very expensive. For the migratory birds try using the AF-C for the auto focus. That way when you press the shutter button half way down the camera will continue to focus on the subject even if it's moving away or toward you. Also try setting the focus on spot or use the dynamic focus setting. It will take some practice keeping the focus point on the subject but this should give you a better chance of getting the shot you want. Hope this helps.