B/W studio portrait

wud

I find conversion to black and white to be a little tricky when doing studio portraits, to get a natural look. I think its the shadows mostly, how much/little contrast to use? Is the bright parts bright enough? Would love some other eyes on this image.

Light is a soft box, lens is 105 mm.

1/250, f/13, iso 160.

My intention was working with soft shadows but also to capture this incredible woman, and I really love her calm, soft, inviting expression.

helena-8875_web.jpg

Horoscope Fish

I will start by saying I honestly don't really think I'm in a position to actually critique your work; you are a far, far better photographer than I am, clearly. What I will say is I think I might like the shot better without all the negative space, and I love negative space, generally speaking; I just don't know that it's helping this shot. If cropped to portrait orientation I think the composition would be stronger, personally. I love your subject and the shot appears to me to be very technically proficient.

Last edited:

wud

I will start by saying I honestly don't really think I'm in a position to actually critique your work; you are a far, far better photographer than I am, clearly. What I will say is I think I might like the shot better without all the negative space, and I love negative space, generally speaking; I just don't know that it's helping this shot. If cropped to portrait orientation I think the composition would be stronger, personally. I love your subject and the shot appears to me to be very technically proficient.

Well you can see - so you can also critique :) :) Maybe you are right, I'll try another crop!

Maybe its a little too matte. Lacking a bit of contrast in the background.

fotojack

I'm with Paul on this one. Lovely woman...love her expression in this shot. Just a little too much negative space. I agree that a better crop would really make this pop.

Eyelight

I don't know. I think the negative space leads to the "there's more to this woman" thought. If cropped the mystery goes away.

A little too much difference between light and shadow, at least on my screen.

For me, I like to see every morsel of character in a portrait like this and for that purpose, the light is just a little too much.

It is so close though, I think it's just a case of adjusting a little up and down to see where it works the best, and it may be right where it is.

wud

Is this better? I can't make a 'classic' portrait orientated image, as I haven't enough space at the bottom (and I refuse square).

helena-8875_web_copy.jpg

Horoscope Fish

(Not sure I believe I'm doing this)
I submit for your consideration:
helena-8875_web.jpg
I did a Levels Adjustment layer and gave it a 2:3 (4:6) crop.

wud

Ugh! That close! Really? Thanks for your suggestion, just gonna chew on it for a little while!

Kind regards, Mrs. Living In An Empty Space :p

Horoscope Fish

Ugh! That close! Really? Thanks for your suggestion, just gonna chew on it for a little while!

Kind regards, Mrs. Living In An Empty Space :p
LOL...

It *is* tight, I agree... I was trying to keep to standard cropping ratios but if we move away from that maybe something like this:

helena-8875_web.jpg

Last edited:

wev

Contributor
I know less than a little, but I rather like square formats for portraits, especially with a face a strong as this

helena-8875_web.jpg

Pretzel

As stated by others, I wouldn't put my skill up against yours at all. Ever. But with my thinking of the term "portrait"...

My thoughts, and purely just thoughts, the dead black to the conversion is what kills it for me. With a black background, IMO, washing it out kills the effect. I love the tonality on her face, I just get distracted by the "haze" of the background (for lack of a better word). I also like her face a little more up front and centered, since she's looking at the camera. If she were looking off to the left, or there were more pertinent background (family, pets, home, city) perhaps the negative space would fit a bit better? I don't think it would take much of a crop at all to get it in line, though, and still keep a little of it. What format was the original pic? 4x6ish? Maybe constraining it down to an 8x10 style crop instead?

Sorry, I'm at work, so can't really look and compare.

All said and done, the way you capture the look and personality of your subjects speaks volumes of your skill/personality before you even snap the shot, and your instinct as to WHEN to capture the look... amazing.

*EDIT* The more I look at it, perhaps even the hazed black background wouldn't be so distracting if there wasn't quite so much. I'll take a look again when I get home, maybe toy with a different crop if that's ok.

Last edited:

wud

@Pretzel - I think I agree about to much or to washed out background. And have made it a little less, but couldn't stare more at the image right now ;)

This is the original size, I haven't cropped it. Would love if you had a go!
I do have other shots, also portrait oriented, but it has different lightings.

wud

Without the matte effect. And in 8x10 inch.

helena-8875_web-2.jpg

But..... when seeing the 3 different images in small, I actually think this crop makes her face appear more round.

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 12.16.01.jpg