ISO in manual mode

J-see

I don't know how many use this trick already but I'm since some days now.

I got annoyed by not having direct ISO control in manual mode or having to disable/enable auto-ISO in menu when using it in manual.

What I'm doing now is set auto-ISO enabled and then use exposure compensation in manual. Since my A and S are locked and the cam can't control them, what's the only thing it can adjust? Exactly.

For every stop you underexpose, it lowers ISO by a stop, or you can do thirds. Since EV only has five stops, it doesn't work higher than ISO 3200.

No more menus or clumsy buttons for ISO if you use this method. This far it always did the job but I'm curious if it will perform identical all the time.

Edit: I was just toying with it inside and now suddenly it only reacted when the shot was exposed correctly in the first place. Strange since outside I was constantly underexposing and it did the job as well.

Last edited:

J-see

It works again. I had to shut the cam down and restart. I had different light conditions today and since I was only using up to 400 ISO, I occasionally had to dial down further than -2EV to get it to 100.

I assume that's only a problem if you use my shooting style, for those that expose differently, it should work well.

J-see

Does ISO button + Front dial to toggle between auto/manual ISO not work in 750?

Yes I can use ISO + back dial but each time the screen jumps on which is annoying. When using auto + EV in manual, this doesn't happen. I find the EV button also handier than the ISO on the back.

I have the lens with my left when shooting and have to let go to push the normal ISO button since my right thumb can't reach it.

Last edited:

J-see

Does ISO button + Front dial to toggle between auto/manual ISO not work in 750?

Now I understand what you meant. I didn't know I could enable/disable auto-ISO like that. Thanks for the tip.

I use EV to control the ISO in manual without disabling it. By underexposing (for my shooting), I limit it to an upper value I prefer and still allow it to pick the required within the range left. When disabling it, in manual I'm stuck with the ISO-button wheel and have to pick one myself. Which is pretty complicated especially when you're looking through the viewfinder at the same time.

cbay

What I'm doing now is set auto-ISO enabled and then use exposure compensation in manual.

I was curious about this and tried it last night. Checked my pictures this morning and worked fine. I like having auto-ISO, but also want to be able to bracket my exposure quite often so this is a good feature.

J-see

I was curious about this and tried it last night. Checked my pictures this morning and worked fine. I like having auto-ISO, but also want to be able to bracket my exposure quite often so this is a good feature.

Same here. I was testing auto-ISO in manual mode but got annoyed because each time I had to go into the menu to change the auto-value. I wanted something faster and controllable while shooting. This works fine and you can set any ISO max you prefer in auto and then lower it if you don't desire that much for a shot. Since it adjusts to the "correct" exposure, you can dial it up and down any way you like. At least up to five stops.