D90 mirror replacement?

fripple

I recently purchased a D90 for my wife to use. Well this morning she has the bright idea to clean the mirror with her shirt since it had something on it. Yeah I was pretty upset to say the least!!!! She's a newbie photog and I really wish she would have at least called me first before even doing such a thing. Now when I look through the viewfinder, it looks like there is a ton of dust on it. I assume it's all scratched up from her shirt.

Now how big of a problem does this pose besides just the viewfinder being messed up? The photos look ok, but I didn't know if it could mess something else up also. Anyone know how much it costs to replace?

Vermontster

Anyone know how much it costs to replace?

It likely only affected the mirror (which you would see in the view finder. The sensor sits behind the mirror and was not affected by the cleaning, thus your photos come out OK.

There are probably a lot more people on this site that could direct you to a camera repair shop in your area. I take mine to Green Mountain Camera in Waterbury, Vermont. They are sent cameras from around the globe for repair work. Green Mountain Camera

Good luck

fotojack

Chris is right. What you see through the view finder is the mirror, not the sensor, so my advice would be to take it to a reputable camera shop and have them professionally clean the mirror. Explain what happened to the tech and he probably won't even charge you to clean it (although I don't guarantee it). It should take about 30 seconds to thoroughly clean the mirror.