Time lapse problem

Tony46

I've been using my D810 for a few months now without any problems. However, yesterday I fancied trying my hand at time lapse photography. Problem is that on the shooting menu, both the time lapse and interval timer shooter are greyed-out, so I can't access them. I looked in the manual, and it tells me that they won't work if the camera has various settings active (HDR, live view, bracketing etc.) None of these settings are active, so what's the problem? Anybody have any ideas? I have a D7100 and it works fine on that. Do I have a fault on the D810?

murphc13

I've been using my D810 for a few months now without any problems. However, yesterday I fancied trying my hand at time lapse photography. Problem is that on the shooting menu, both the time lapse and interval timer shooter are greyed-out, so I can't access them. I looked in the manual, and it tells me that they won't work if the camera has various settings active (HDR, live view, bracketing etc.) None of these settings are active, so what's the problem? Anybody have any ideas? I have a D7100 and it works fine on that. Do I have a fault on the D810?
Try this video mate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Nya6rIgNM

Scott Murray

Just a general guess because I don't have an 810.... Is time and date set? I remember reading that somewhere.

No it's not, but I don't think that would make any difference. It's really bugging me!
Stop being lazy and set the time and date. Read this.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18911/~/time-lapse-function-grayed-out

[h=1]Time Lapse function grayed out[/h]
Answer ID 18911|Published 04/02/2014 02:30 PM|Updated 04/02/2014 02:32 PM

The Time lapse feature in supported Nikon DSLR cameras is not available in the following modes:

• Live View
  • with a shutter speed setting of bulb
  • Bracketing
  • HDR (High Dynamic Range)
  • Multiple Exposure
  • Interval Timer photography

** Also be sure to set the camera DATE / TIME or the Time Lapse will not be accessible.

Tony46

OK sorted it. Time and date do indeed need to be set, as first mentioned by nickt. The reason I wasn't sure about it was because it worked on my D7100, and I was certain the time and date weren't set on it. Turns out they were set when I bought it (got it second hand)

Anyway thanks for the help